Thursday, November 06, 2014

Day Six: Thankful for P-Momma

                                     

Moving right along with the people I love and that mean very much to me, today is all about P-Momma.  For anyone that hasn't been reading very long, and has been wondering what on earth "P-Momma" means, I'll end your suffering right now.  P-Momma is short for Pseudo Mother-in-Law.  She's not my "real" mother-in-law, but I think of her like a mom.  She treats me like a daughter, and my kids know her as their "Grammy".

In the eight years I've known P-Momma, she has been nothing but kind, loving, and supportive of me.  She has always opened up her home to me and the kids whenever we need a P-Momma fix, and one of my most favorite ways to spend a day over the weekend is sitting with her at her table sharing what we've been up to since we last saw each other.  

I don't get to see her near as often as I'd like, and it can sometimes be several weeks before I'm able to make the trip to her house to see her.  But, no matter how long it is between visits, we pick up right where we left off from the last time.

This woman has done so much for me over the years, from attending my college graduations, being one of the first people I called when I got my teaching job, to attending my kids' special assemblies and graduations.  She's also the person I call when I just need someone to talk to, some words of inspiration and support, or to share some exciting news.  It doesn't matter what it is, I know that she'll be at the other end of the phone for me.

On top of being a very important person to me, my kids also adore her.  She is their grandmother.  They ask me all the time to go and see her, because they enjoy their visits to her house as much as I do.  Peanut enjoys talking with her and I, Butter enjoys playing video games or playing outside with P-Momma's granddaughter, and Jelly just loves being anywhere near her.  P-Momma spoils them rotten, and they love every minute of it.

While Peanut and Butter both love P-Momma very much, her biggest fan is definitely Jelly.  That girl cherishes the ground her Grammy walks on.  Not a weekend goes by that Jelly doesn't ask me to take her to see P-Momma, and we can spend the entire day there and Jelly still won't be satisfied.  She will complain that she doesn't want to go home.  And their relationship means so much to me.  Being that Jelly never really built much of a relationship with my own mother, it's very important to me that she looks to P-Momma as being her Grammy.  And P-Momma has never disappointed Jelly.  Ever.  

P-Momma is the kind of person that would give the clothes off of her back to help us out or be there for us.  I always know that I can call on her if I am in need.  She has gladly taken all three kids when Hubby and I need some alone time, she bought us brand new furniture when we moved in to our new house, and she has given us some of the most amazing gifts anyone could ever ask for.  Peanut will tell you that her very fancy hair straightener she received last Christmas and the  brand new laptop she received for her 8th grade graduation are two of the best gifts she's ever received in her life.  Butter will tell you that the RC helicopter he's wanted for YEARS, that his dad and I both told him we'd never buy for him, was one of the greatest gifts Grammy ever bought for him.  And Jelly will tell you that the Fur-Real Monkey she received last year has slept with her every single night, because she loves it like a real baby.  

Yet, one of the things I am most happy about is the fact my kids and I will all tell you that none of those gifts have any impact on how much we adore and love her.  It isn't about the gifts, or the way she helps us out, it's ALL about the fact that she is one of the most supportive and loving people in our lives.

I am the kind of person that likes some motivation and support.  I need to be told that I'm doing a good job or that someone is proud of me.  That may be because that type of support has always been in short supply my whole life.  I can't tell you when I've really ever been told how proud I've made someone or how happy someone is for me with what I've accomplished in my life.. until I met P-Momma.  

The words of encouragement and support she's bestowed on me over the years have had such an impact on me and my life.  When I first started my college career, she told me how proud she was of me for doing it.  While I was going through school, working, and raising my little family, she was never in short supply of telling me how proud she was of me working so hard to make a better life for my family.  And again when I graduated college.  She cried with me on the phone when I called her to tell her that I'd finally found a teaching job, and she told me how wonderful I'd be and how she couldn't wait to hear all of my teaching stories.  She fully supported and encouraged me to start the process of getting my Master's Degree.  And with everything I've been through with my mother, P-Momma has ALWAYS been there to give me what I was missing most:  Love, pride, and acceptance.  

I just can't do justice in words with how thankful I am for this amazing woman.  She is my mother.  She is the person that is always there for me and my children.  And I just don't know what I'd do without her.  I will never be able to repay her the kindness and love that she's shown me, so all I can do is be thankful each and every day that she's in my life and that I'm lucky enough to know her and be apart of her family.

Have a great Thursday, everyone!
Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what's on your mind - I love to hear from you!