Thursday, November 27, 2014

Day Twenty-Seven: Happy Thanksgiving!



I have to make it quick today, because I have so much to do and so little time.  P-Momma will be arriving in about two hours, and I still have to sweep and vacuum the living room, get dressed, and peel the potatoes.  The pies are baked, the turkey is on the grill being smoked, and the kids are all keeping themselves amused.  So, I'm not worried or stressing about anything.

Today it is Thanksgiving, the day to be thankful and enjoy the company of family.  Being that this is THE day of thankfulness, today I just want to be thankful that I have so much to be thankful for.  Being a part of the Thirty Days of Thankful really sheds light on how many blessings I have in my life and no matter what struggles I face, I have an AMAZING life and family.  So, rather than just picking one thing, I want to be thankful for everyone and everything I have in my life.

To me, Thanksgiving is all about family.  Gathering together with the ones you love, feasting, laughing, and just enjoying each other's company.  It's not about how big the turkey is, how many sides there are, what the variety of pie consists of, but just having a great meal with wonderful people.

I am truly thankful that I have such amazing people to share this day with.  Of course, there's my kids.  My wonderful, awesome, amazing children.  Then there's Hubby.  I don't know what I'd do on a day like today without his culinary skills.  And I am so happy and excited to have my P-Momma coming to join us today.  I've tried getting her to come to us for the past couple of years, but this year I finally get to have her here with us, again, and I couldn't be happier.

I love that woman so very much, and she is the very definition of the word "Mom".  She's kind, caring, loving, supportive, and a wonderful grandmother.  I know I've already given her a day on my Thankful countdown, but I just have to reiterate how much I truly love her.  When my own family turned their backs on me and pushed me out of their lives, P-Momma was there to pick up the pieces and make sure that I never felt a bit of upset or sadness over the situation.  She always tells me how proud she is to have me as her "daughter", and I have always longed for a mother that cares for me the way she does.

That is something to be truly thankful for today.

I'm also very thankful for the phone call I received last night from Peanut's grandmother in Tennessee.  I love the fact that she gives me a call every now and then to check in on me and see how we're doing.  She doesn't have to.  She really doesn't have to have much contact with me at all.  But, she chooses to, and for that I am truly thankful.  I can't wait to see her and Peanut's grandpa again over Christmas break... I love those two people.

I've been thinking a lot over the past twenty-four hours about how disappointed I am in my family (my mother, mostly) and how sad I am that they are not apart of my life.  But, then I get to thinking about all of the wonderful people in my life who don't bring me down, or care only about themselves.  I have some wonderful family who truly love me, support me, and care for me, and those are the people that I can rely on and they can rely on me.  They are my family.  I have a wonderful family, and I'm thankful for those people each and every day.

They say blood is thicker than water, but that's not true.  Blood doesn't have to define family.  Family is the people that you love, care for, and are the most important people in your life.

And that's exactly what I have.

So, on this day, I will not stress about the food, the decorations, or the seating placements.  I will take in every moment I get to be with my family, and be thankful.  I will give thanks for the blessings that have been bestowed upon my life, and cherish the moments where I can reflect on the strength I have, the trials and struggles I've overcome, and for the path that I have yet to walk.

I hope you all do the same, and have a WONDERFUL Thanksgiving!!


Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what's on your mind - I love to hear from you!