Saturday, May 02, 2009

A Month Later

I want to make a quick apology for my lack of posting over the past 3 weeks. Even though I hate this excuse, I really have been too busy to even think about this journal. I'm a college student who is graduating next week, so I've been run to the ground doing presentations, studying for finals, etc. Have I lost weight the past couple of weeks? Hell no - BUT I haven't gained any either, so for that I guess I'm happy. I've slacked on my working out, due to the same time constraints, but I have made a step that will hopefully change all that for me this summer.

Being that I'm not taking any classes during the summer - the excuses are gone! I did something the other day that I'm really proud of, and will really help (hopefully). I joined a "Mommy & Me" group that focuses on health and fitness. I was kind of nervous, because I assumed that it would be a bunch of skinny bitches that spent all of their time in the gym. That, however, is not the case. The group is made of up of "normal" women (some skinny, some average, some overweight), but basically stay at home moms that are on a mission to get healthy and shed pounds (or maintain their healthy weight) by supporting each other. The group gets together for fun activities to help with this misson. They do things like "mommy & me" gym sessions, "moms only" hiking and yoga classes, weekly visits to the farmer's market, and weekly "playdate" support groups where things like healthy recipes are prepared and shared while the kids all play together. After my older two kids get out of school, the group also has fun activities planned for them - so there's a benefit not just for me, but for the kids too.

I'm excited to make some new friends, and also some people that are in the same situation as me to help me get through this. I've set a new goal from my joining this group. The group dedicates some of it's time helping in charitable events, such as working in soup kitchens, donating food and clothing to the homeless shelters, and it also has a team that runs in the Susan G. Koman Race for the Cure each year. My goal, and plan, is to run in next years 5K race. It's a very big goal, but one that I'm really excited about. I never in a million years thought that I would ever consider doing something like that, but I think it's a great goal and a very motivating one.

My first "playdate" is Friday. I will be meeting the team organizers and some of the other mommies that I haven't yet met. I'm excited, a little nervous, but ready. I think, and hope, that this group will be a very positive and motivating part of my life (or at least the next 3 months), so I'm excited to update you all on the adventures. Till next time. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what's on your mind - I love to hear from you!