Monday, May 26, 2014

A Pr-Emotional Week



This past week has been a blogging DREAM, giving me so much to write about.  The problem was, though, I didn't have 5 minutes to sit down and even attempt to write something because I've been so darned busy.  So, instead, I'm going to write about it now and moving forward being that I'm almost done with school for the year.

Last week was the kids' last week of school. With the last week of school comes promotions.  Specifically kindergarten promotion and 8th grade promotion.  And, I was lucky enough to have two children that were participating in one or the other.

Jelly officially graduated from kindergarten.  My baby girl is now going to be a 1st grader.  The event was very cute.  Hubby, P-Momma, and I met at her school to watch the short assembly.  Jelly was so excited to have her Mommy, Daddy, and Grammy at the event.

Waiting for the ceremony to begin

Happy girl with Daddy and Grammy

So proud of my little graduate

Best friends for life
Our sweet girl with Mommy & Daddy

Once that was over, it was back to work for me.  Until the end of the day, when it was time to prepare for the "BIG" event.  The events of events.  The biggest ceremony of the year:  8th grade promotion.

It is the prom of ceremonies for the 8th graders.  Girls spend tons of money on hair, nails, and dresses.  Guys get dressed up in tuxes and spit shined shoes.  Hours are put in, practicing, to make sure the event goes without a hitch.  It's been a year in the making for the day to finally arrive, and when it did, I couldn't stop the tears from flowing.  My baby girl was moving up in to high school, and the school made sure that the kids got the biggest of send-offs.

And the best way to explain the wonderful night is through the pictures...

There was the breakfast that was put on for the 8th graders by the local Methodist church...

Peanut helping herself to the yummy food
Peanut and her BBF (boy best friend)
Then there was getting the hair and make up done for the big night...

Hair's done
It was absolutely beautiful
Side view
After make-up had been applied
Then came putting on her dress.  It was so hard not to cry seeing her so dressed up...

Isn't she absolutely STUNNING?
Before the actual ceremony, the kids were invited to a pre-promotion reception.  All the kids were treated to cupcakes and apple cider.  No parents or families were allowed in to the reception room, but being a teacher in the school helps get some rules bent.  I was allowed in for a couple of minutes to shoot a couple of pics...






After the reception, it was time to get the show on the road.  The kids filed in to the gym to the graduation processional music.  They all looked very spiffy and professional in their graduation gowns.  The ceremony kicked off with recognizing some of the accolades of some of the students.  With each recognition that was given, it made me tear up to see Peanut stand.  She had been one of twelve students to take the high school Algebra class, and then made an advanced score on the final test.  She also ranked in the top 10% of her 8th grade class, which was one out of seven from the seventy students in her class.  An honor that earned her honor cords to wear over her robe.

Another honor that Peanut was given was the chance to sing the dedicated graduation song with one of her best friends, while another friend accompanied them on the guitar.  


If ranking in the top 10 percent of her class, receiving advanced in a high school level class, and getting to sing the graduation song wasn't enough, Peanut also got to do one of the highest honors of 8th grade promotion:  Give the commencement speech.

Now, in years past, the recognition/commencement speech was given by the class' valedictorian.  But, last year, the county decided to no longer have a valedictorian.  So, this year, the opportunity to give the speech was opened up to all 8th graders who wanted to give the speech.  The interested students had to write a speech and then it was selected by a panel of judges.  Peanut's speech was selected, and she couldn't have been more happy.  It's something she'd talked about doing since the beginning of 7th grade.  

She did an absolutely AMAZING job with the speech...


After the speech, it was time for the reading of the names.  I couldn't have been more proud to watch my little girl walk across the stage to receive her diploma...






It was such an emotional night, and I couldn't have been more proud.  Her father and I, along with Grammy, Jelly and Butter all sat in the bleachers cheering her on.  I cried like a little baby as I thought about how in just 4 short years, we'll be doing this all over again.  Except, next time, she won't be moving on to another grade, she'll be graduating from high school.  

I cried thinking about how she won't pop in to my classroom at some point throughout the day to tell me something, ask me something, or just to say hi.  She won't be in the same school with me anymore.

After the ceremony, we took some time taking some pictures...

Peanut and her very special teacher.  Peanut absolutely adores her.

A quick pic with Momma

Peanut with one of her friends

The girls.. missing one 

The whole gang... LOVE all of these girls

The line seems to keep getting bigger

Such a cute pic of Peanut and one of her guy friends

After all of these pics, don't you know we didn't get a SINGLE pic of her and the family.  I managed to get a picture with her, but we missed out on pictures with Dad, Grammy, and little brother and sister.  It makes me so sad that we didn't get those pictures.

The night did end with one spectacular photo, and that was of Peanut receiving her graduation gift from Grammy.  It was quite the set-up situation.  Grammy gave her a card that contained a pass card to the aquatic center.  Peanut was given the choice to trade that gift in for another gift that was located in the trunk of Grammy's car.  Peanut, after some serious deliberation, decided to make the trade.  And then this happened....


A NEW LAPTOP!!!

What a priceless photo.  I was so happy for her, as it's something she's been wanting for a very long time.  It was the perfect way to end a perfect evening.

The following day, I spent almost all day in tears.  It was so hard to think about it being the last day my little girl would be in the same building with me.  She is now a freshman in high school.  She will be riding to school with me each day, jumping on a bus, and riding to the high school.

And next year, I'll be doing it all over again when Butter goes through 8th grade promotion.

Tomorrow is my last day of work before my summer starts.  I have a lot of work to do in my classroom, but I'm ready for the summer to begin.  I'll be teaching summer school in a couple of weeks, but between now and then I plan on getting some serious R&R.

I also plan on spending some time blogging more.  I'll have a lot more time, now, to write more and that's something I am very excited about.  I've missed blogging.  I've missed sharing what's going on in my life.  And now that the summer is starting, I'll have plenty to talk about.

Photobucket

1 comment:

  1. They grow up so fast! I feel your pain, I've been an emotional mess lately thinking about what is coming up. Jilly graduates 8th grade on June 2, and on June 4th she leaves for Norway, that same day is Aubrey's last day of kindergarten...and my oldest daughter Kelsey is planning on moving to MI by the end of the summer :(

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what's on your mind - I love to hear from you!