Thursday, May 01, 2014

"Back" In Business

I know, I know.  It's been several days since I've shown my face.  I bet you were all thinking I'd thrown in the towel, huh? That I'd decided my blogging days were over.  Well, I can assure you, that's definitely not the case.

Sunday morning, I woke up with a little twinge in the bottom of my back.  The kind of twinge one receives from sleeping awkwardly.  It was a little uncomfortable, but nothing major.  That's why I was able to finish up the last blog post I'd been working on.  Well, that little "twinge" had turned in to full-blown, unbearable, tear inducing pain by midday.  I was in so much pain that I couldn't sit.  At all.  I had to stand or lay flat in order to get any relief.

I spent some time laying completely flat on my laminate floor.  It helped keep the pain at bay, but it didn't help when I had to stand or sit up.  The pain shot from my mid-back down to my toes on the right side.  Any time I tried to just sit on a chair or on the couch, the pain intensified.  It was more like trying to sit down on an electrical current, being that the pain would just shoot through my body.  I was fine when I was standing straight up, but any time that I bent at the waist it was game over.

I did manage to get out and do some grocery shopping, but trying to do any of my school work was almost out of the question.  I couldn't sit at my computer.  Finally, I decided to pad my bed up with pillows, find the most comfortable position I could tolerate with my computer, and laid on my bed for as long as I could in order to get some work done.  It wasn't very long.  I had to give up, and just lay on the bed with pillows supporting my back for the rest of the day/night.

The next morning, I hopped out of bed totally forgetting why I was completely encased in pillows.  The jump out of bed quickly reminded me, as I felt that tell-tale shot of pain fly down my right side.  I hobbled around after that getting ready for work.  The drive to work was MISERABLE.  Trying to sit on the driver's seat was already hard enough, but every pot hole and bump felt like I was trying to drive over craters and canyons.

The entire day at work, I was fine as long as I didn't sit down.  Which is good for a teacher.  I don't spend much time sitting down during my day.  Lunch was a little painful, but I made it through.

Monday night, I had softball practice.  I forgot about my back several times, but was quickly reminded when I tried throwing a ball or catching one.  The only time I actually felt some kind of relief is when I decided to be totally idiotic and hit a ball to run the bases.  It was a painful run, but the stretching on my back actually felt pretty good.  I finished up practice, though, regretting what I'd done.

Monday night was another evening of laying on my bed, propped with pillows.  Tuesday, I was still in pain, but I had noticed the pain had decreased some.  It was still uncomfortable to sit, but not unbearable.  I started to think that maybe running wasn't such a bad idea, and that it'd actually helped my back.

Tuesday I had to go to Jelly's Family Night after school and that lasted until 7PM.  I then had to drive to Joplin to pick Peanut and Butter up from a track meet.  It was almost 8PM when I made it to them, and by the time we had some dinner and drove home, it was 10PM when we were pulling in the driveway.

Yesterday, I was basically back to my old self, but after getting home so late I didn't feel like getting up to blog.  I stayed in bed.

So, today I'm back.  And I will be honest and say that I'm really not too sad that I didn't get to blog the past few days.  I really did need a break.  Blogging, lately, has become more like a chore than an enjoyable hobby.  I got up every morning feeling like it was something I had to do, a part of my routine, and not much thought was being put in to what I had to say.

Also, with as stressed as I've been lately, it's probably a good thing I had a few days off.  I haven't had the best luck, lately, with writing stuff that hasn't somehow or in someway been misconstrued and either hurting someone's feelings or painting me in a light I don't wish to be painted.  While I love to write without really thinking much about it, and letting my feelings and emotions flow, I know I can't and really have to work on monitoring and adjusting when necessary.

The week is coming to an end, and I have one extremely busy and fun weekend coming up.  Peanut has a band trip to Kansas City, and I'm tagging along as a chaperon.  We are going to World's of Fun, and I decided to book a cabin and spend the night instead of riding the bus back.  Peanut has invited her friend to stay with us, and we're going to spend Sunday doing some sightseeing in Kansas City.  I'm very excited.  It's been YEARS since I had a vacation, weekend away, or even just a trip to a theme park.  So, I plan on making the most of it.  PLUS, it will be a great way to prepare for the week of testing that we're facing next week.

It blows my mind that today is the 1st of May and that there is only 23 days left until we get out for summer.  That's only 18 instructional days.  Three and a half weeks.  Totally crazy.  But, I have to admit, I'm ready.  Very ready.

OK, that's it for me today.  It's that time to get ready for work.  I have to say that it feels good to be back, and I don't plan on making a habit of disappearing for days on end.

I'll be back tomorrow.  Hopefully.  It is another track meet night, but I don't think I'll be home so late tonight.

Have a great Thursday!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what's on your mind - I love to hear from you!