Sunday, June 22, 2014

Taking a Walk Down Memory Lane

                                   

The left picture is me, about 4 years ago.  Dressed up for night out on the town with Sanity (one of my best friends).  The picture on the right?  Me, last night, all dressed up for a night on the town with Sanity.  Apart from the hair and the AH-MAZING aviators I'm sporting, I haven't changed all that much.  Aged just a little, I suppose, but still looking pretty good for a girl in her early thirties out for a good time.

And that's exactly what I had last night.  An awesome time.  Just like old times... four years ago, when we spent so much time together out and having fun.

It's been well over a year since we attempted the "college days night out reunion" and it was a major flop.  We were all home by 9PM, and probably in bed by 10. But, we were new teachers, then, exhausted from our weeks of working.  We just didn't have it in us to stay out until all hours of the night, dancing, laughing, and having a good time.  But, we've been doing it a while, now, and last night we were ready to try it again.

The old ladies that we are decided to start our evening off at 4PM.  Doesn't that just sound like a party waiting to happen?  Hitting the town at 4PM.  Oh yeah.  You know there's trouble to be made when people are walking up and down the street that turns in to a night hub of bars, drinking, and dancing with shopping bags in their hands.  Or their in workout gear from getting in a nice jog down the street before it's lined with drinkers falling all over themselves.  

Do you think that stopped us walking straight in to a bar, though?  Nope.  And to our astonishment, the place was PACKED.  4:30PM, and the place was already hopping with "adult beverage" activity.  

In our defense, we were actually going to dinner but got there way too early even for us to eat.  We hadn't really planned on kicking off our night on the town at 4:30 in the afternoon, but both of us were so dang excited to go out, we left WAY earlier than we should have.  But, it was OK, we sat on the patio of the little bar and just talked for over an hour.  We caught up on the all the goings on that's happened since we last saw each other.  Of course, an hour wasn't near enough to cover it all, but it was long enough until we decided we were hungry and we could pick up the conversation over dinner.  So, we walked down to the restaurant and spent another hour talking, eating, laughing, and reminiscing old times.

Once dinner was over, it was almost after 7.  We had made plans to watch a live band perform, but we found out that it didn't start until 9.  I'll be honest and admit that it sounded a little daunting.  Would we be able to make it?  

Well, I'm happy to report that not only did we make it for the show, but we were still alive and kicking after the show.  

The show was amazing.  A bunch of guys in their 50s, 60s, and I'm guessing even 70s were rocking HARD.  And their female lead singer had a voice that gave me goosebumps every time she opened her mouth.  She had a soulful, raspy voice that just reached out and grabbed everyone that was around.  I also love the fact that there were about 8 of them... three different types of guitars, a bass, a drummer, a keyboarder, a saxophone player, and the singer.  Just an all around, great time.

Once we had listened to some great tunes, I was in the mood to sing some myself.  And dance a little.  And there's only one place Sanity and I go to when those types of feelings set in.  It had been three years since we last stepped in to our "regular place", but the minute we walked in it felt like we'd been rushed back in time.  Old memories surfaced quickly, and I was back in my comfort zone, in the place I belonged.  

Thankfully the place was pretty empty, so getting up to sing my first song was easy.  I decided to go with an old favorite, a song I sang at a high school talent show:  Foolish Games by Jewel.  Not to inflate my ego, but I sounded pretty darn good.  The few people in the bar all stopped to listen to me, and it gave me the confidence boost I needed to keep getting back up on that stage even as droves of people started coming in the front door.  

To give you an idea on how much we used to frequent that place?  A regular that we used to talk to EVERY time we went in there was sitting at the bar when we walked in.  It took him a little while, but he remembered us.  He came over and we made our greetings, and he spent the next couple of hours reminiscing, singing, and dancing.  

I haven't laughed that hard in such a long time.  Or had so much fun.

Sanity and I have decided that we are not going to wait so long to do it again.  There's absolutely no reason why we can't make it a once every other month deal.  So, we've already got plans in the making for another excursion before we head back to school.  If I have my way, we'll actually do it a couple of times before we go back to school...but we'll see how that goes.

Last night helped me realize that I just have to take some time for myself every once in a while.  I can go out with a good friend, have a good time, and it's OK.  I don't have to feel guilty or worry that I'm doing something without the rest of the family.  

And that's exactly what I'm going to do... every now and then.

Today though, I'm off to the water park with the kiddos and P-Momma.  A day with the family is JUST what I need.  

Have a great Sunday, everyone!!



Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what's on your mind - I love to hear from you!