Friday, January 10, 2014

What's Better Than a One Day Work Week?

I guess the answer to that question is a NO day work-week, being that I just found out that school has been cancelled, once again.  

I sat here for 30 minutes writing my post about going back today...then saw the post on Facebook that had to make me change everything I wrote.  

I'm so glad I got up, took a shower, and drank two cups of coffee before finding out.  I need to go back to bed, but kinda wide awake now.

I have to admit, I was kinda sitting on a fence about how I felt regarding going back today.

Half of me was really excited and glad that we were going back on a Friday.  It would have been a great opportunity to get all of the kids' excitement out of their system about the break and the extra days we had off.  It would have given me a chance to review a few things that we did before the break.  It also would have given me a chance to ease myself back in to work mode, cause Lord knows I need to really work on getting back on a work schedule.

And then, the other half of me was thinking: Really?  We're going back for one day?  Why couldn't we have just called it a wash and started over fresh on Monday.

But, I think I was only feeling that last half because I could not, for the life of me, get to sleep last night.

At 1:30AM, despite not feeling the slightest bit tired, I decided I had to try and get some sleep.  At 3AM, when Hubby came home from work early, I was still awake.  Just lying in bed.  I'd been resting, but sleep just wasn't coming.

My brain just didn't want to shut off.  I was thinking about what I was going to do today.  What activities we should do, what content I wanted to review, what the chances were of some kids not making it because roads still being a little dicey, about whether I will assign anything if attendance isn't all that great or if we'll just do some basic activities, and if there was still a chance that I'd get up in a couple of hours and find out that school had been cancelled anyway.

Just non-stop thinking.

I must have dozed off a little after talking to Hubby, because the next thing I knew it was 4:30AM and my alarm was going off.  So, an hour and a half of sleep.  Guess that will have to do... but it's not like I can't make it up over the next two days, right?

So, I get up around 5AM (after a few snooze button hits), jump in the shower, drink a cup of coffee, start writing my blog about having to go back today, drink another cup of coffee...and decide to check Facebook to get other people's thoughts on the situation... and BAM!   There's a post cancelling school for today.

I have to admit that a big part of me felt relieved, and a small part of me was pretty upset.  I mean, I was up, focused on going and then let down.  But, I'm also pretty sleep deprived and probably would have been a little scatter brained had we gone back today.

One big incentive of having another snow day is the fact that there's no more snow on the ground (here) and the temperature is supposed to reach up to almost 50 today!!  That means, I'm getting out of the house for a while.

Something miraculous happened this past week.  I started receiving child support again!!  It's only been, oh, I don't know... eight years since I got my last child support check.  But it really couldn't have come at a better time.  We can get some bills paid and take care of a few things that need to be taken care of.  

For the past eight years, I had completely given up the hope of ever receiving a penny in child support. The back child support had surpassed the $18,000 mark!!  No matter how many letters I got explaining that warrants had been issued, his driver's license being flagged, taxes flagged... he somehow managed to stay under the radar for all that time.  And I guess, they finally found him.

How long it will last?  Who knows.  But, they did manage to get ahold of a bank account and freeze it, and found out he was working and put a wage garnishment in.  So, I've received some money.  Something is better than nothing.  I'm not holding my breath that it will last very long, being that he tends to disappear the minute they find him, but I'm not going to complain.  I've managed to go this long without it, not really that big a deal either way.  But, I will enjoy it while it lasts.

For a split second, I actually felt bad when I found out that they had seized his bank account and sent me the money from it.  But then, the feeling passed when I thought about the fact that he had that money in a bank account yet still dodged his obligation, and has done so for eight years.  Actually, he's dodged it for more like 11 1/2 years, because eight years ago I received a few small payments before it stopped again.  Had he just paid his minimal obligation in the first place, he wouldn't be missing that money from his bank account now.

Of course, $18,000 isn't a minimal amount.. but divide that up over 11 1/2 years and you'll find that his obligation was nothing compared to the actual cost of raising a child.  And, I'm quite sure that my kids will be grown with kids of their own before he ever catches up (if that ever happens).  I may have received a payment, but it's only a minuet portion of the amount he owes.

But, enough about that.  Now it's time to start planning out my day.  

Hopefully everyone has a great Friday!!  I know I will.  :)

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what's on your mind - I love to hear from you!