Monday, February 10, 2014

Here We Go Again


Last night, I'm sitting there eating my dinner and my phone rings.  I look at the number and all I can muster is "You have GOT to be KIDDING me!"  Everyone in the house then knew who was calling me.

Yep.  The school.  Another snow day, for kids.  Staff must report, once again.

Another day of being in my classroom with no students.  Snow day number 17.  And it wouldn't be as bad if there wasn't a chance for MORE snow to move in this morning... while I'm at work.  Thankfully, it's nothing major in terms of expected accumulation.  But, with the ground being so cold and still snow covered in most areas, it won't take much snow for it to stick to the roads and make them a little slick.  

The current radar shows there's quite a bit of snow in southern Missouri right now, but it's as if some force field is planted firmly around our county because the snow is moving right above and around our area.  Not that I'm complaining about that, but I really don't want to drive all the way to work just to find out that that snow moves slightly south sending us all right back home again.

At least today, I know that it will be a full day working in my classroom.  My team spent all day Friday planning out the rest of the school year, so there's nothing to do in terms of that.  Except coming up with the actual lessons and materials.  I suppose that's something I'll start working on today.  After cleaning and filing and sorting and decluttering.  Everything I had planned to do on Friday.

I did manage to get in some good retail therapy yesterday.  

Hubby, Jelly, and I hit the town and did some shopping.  I went and bought some stuff for Butter (because he missed out on Saturday).  He's not really in to retail therapy, but he likes new stuff.  I bought him some new digs for the semi-formal dance, some new shoes, a new hoody, and a GIANT Duck Dynasty pillow.  Jelly also had a little shopping spree, finding herself some new clothes and boots.  We took advantage of the major sales that were taking place, that's for sure.

I ended up getting myself a new pink coffee pot for my classroom.  I've been wanting to get one, but when I saw that pinky goodness, I just couldn't resist.  And today, I'll be figuring out exactly where I can put it in my classroom without it being anywhere near students.  

I also got myself some new pens.  Not the ones I wanted because the store didn't have my usual brand, but new grading pens nonetheless.  

And that's about it.

I have to admit, I realized I kinda like shopping for my kids.  It's just as therapeutic as shopping for myself, if not more so.  It feels good knowing I can buy them some new clothes every now and then without it being a special occasion or holiday.  Of course, once again, major sales help with that kind of stuff.

I also received some sad news yesterday afternoon.  The mother of one of my team members passed away.  She has been fighting a battle with cancer for several years, and the suffering is now over.  I really hate to say that she "lost the battle" because from everything my sweet friend has told me, the woman has fought and fought hard for a long time.  Ten years if I remember right.  That's quite the victory, if you ask me.  So, in my mind, it was just time to end the fighting.  Now, there is no more pain or suffering.  Yet, my heart breaks for my dear friend.  She was so close with her mother, and I know that she needs as many thoughts, prayers, and support as she can get through this difficult time.

Not only that, but the 4 year old of a former co-worker has taken a turn for the worst.  My former co-worker has a beautiful, sweet angel of a daughter that was born with mitochondrial disease.  The disease attacks the cells that produce energy.  The disease takes away the ability to produce energy to control muscles, swallow, breath, and anything else that requires energy.  Yesterday, it was discovered that her sweet daughter has pneumonia, and that can be extremely serious in a child with Mito.  The last update posted by my former co-workers was that her daughter was being given comfort meds and being moved in to a hospice house.  

It was very tough for me to sleep last night, because that adorable angel was on my mind.

So, today, I'm asking for all readers of my blog to keep these people in your thoughts.  

Right now, I better get ready for work.  It's that time.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what's on your mind - I love to hear from you!