Saturday, April 05, 2014

Play Ball!!

                                    

There aren't many things that will get me out of bed before 7AM on a Saturday.  Even if I fell asleep at 8PM the night before.  If I didn't have to get up, I probably wouldn't have.. but I did.  And that's because, this morning, I have a summer ball meeting at 9AM.

It's a meeting where all of the coaches, players, and parents come together to find out what's going on with the Summer Ball program:  Practices, games, uniforms, etc.  My little family fall under all categories of coaches, players, and parents.  Being that I'm coaching, all the kids are playing, and I'm the parent of my children.  

It's been a long time since I coached softball, but I'm so excited to be doing it once again.  I coached Peanut's team when she played in 3rd-5th grades.  I'll be a little out of my comfort zone with the coaching I'll be doing this time around, being that I'm going to be coaching the 13 and under team.. but I'm ready and excited for the challenge.

Although, with three children playing ball, me coaching one of the teams, and Peanut and Butter also being in track, our weeks are going to be crammed full of activities.  Softball, baseball, or T-ball practices almost every night, thrown in between track meets, on top of every day of track practice.  And, because there are so many other activities taking place during the week, it will mean scheduling some practices on Saturdays.

It feels just like the good ol' days of Hubby complaining that I'm never home, and that I'm putting too much on my plate.  Back when I was going to college, holding down a job, and coaching softball.  If he thinks that was bad, he has no idea what it's going to be like now.  We just had one kid that played back then, what on earth does he think it's going to be like with all three kids playing, and two of them playing two different sports?

But, I think he's finally gotten used to my crazy, busy schedule.  Now that we both have calendars on our phones that sync and he knows when I will and won't be home, it makes life a little easier.  Plus, he knew full well that once I did get a teaching job, life would be constantly in the fast lane.

I have to be busy, though.  I'm always wanting something to do, something that keeps my mind off of stresses and being so busy helps calm the stress.  Some would probably disagree with that statement.. and think that adding more stuff to my plate would only increase my stress level.  But, it doesn't.  Not for me.  I don't have time to dwell or overthink when I'm running here, there, and everywhere caught up in tons of extra-curricular activities.  

Even figuring out how I'm going to get it all in doesn't stress me out.  It's just apart of the challenge.  It requires me planning and scheduling and coordinating what's going on, and that makes me feel more in control.  If I'm able to make juggling all that's on my plate work, then I'm able to somehow convince myself that I can take on whatever is thrown my way.

There has been quite a bit of tension in my house, lately.  Not between the people that live in it, but between us and stuff outside the house.  I'm dealing with some issues, Peanut is dealing with some issues, and Butter is dealing with some issues.  All separate issues with the same result:  Stress and worry.  And, we've all been depending on each other to help with the stress and worry.  None of us have solutions for each other, but just the support we give each other helps...somewhat.

By having stuff that keeps us busy, it helps keep our minds off of our issues.  Even if it's just for a little while.  It's not running away from the problems, but allowing our minds to take a break.  And that's what we all need, right now. Breaks away to think about other things and do other things.

What I've discovered these past few months is that being a parent to teenagers is TOUGH!  I have sat here in this very seat and preached about how I want my kids to make their own mistakes and learn from them.  Be a listening ear, but staying out of the issues as much as possible and letting them try and figure them out on their own.

Yet, I've discovered, that's a lot easier said than done.  When my babies are hurting, I want to take care of the issues and take the hurt away.  I'm forgetting one very important piece to that, though: They're not babies anymore.  They are young adults.  And, if I don't allow them to spread their wings more, take control of their issues, and face them head on, I'm doing them a major disservice.

As much as I know that I will always be there for them to talk to, and for me to advise them, I can't solve the problems for them.  They MUST stand up on their own and take charge of their own situations, and figure out the best way to resolve them.

Which is hard.  Too hard.  

I also have to realize that I CAN'T use my own personal situations as a way of explaining my thoughts and feelings about their problems.  I can't share what's going on with me with them.  I'm an adult, and I have to deal with my problems and let them see me doing that... rather than telling them my problems  and us all pow-wowing how to solve them.

They are children.  And even though they are growing up so fast, I MUST remember that they are not the people I should be talking to.

Thankfully there are three people I can talk to:  E, P-Momma, and Hubby.  The three people that will listen, offer advise, and just allow me to vent when I need to.  Plus, they won't sugar coat what I need to hear.  Each of them offer their own suggestions, and never just feed me what I want to hear.  And, sometimes, brutal honesty can be SOOOOOO refreshing.

Getting back to the original topic, I honestly feel like the summer ball program will give us an outlet to deal with stresses without having to talk about them.  Hit a few balls, throw a few balls, build some friendships, work as a team, and just HAVING FUN!!! Something that I've been wanting a lot more of around here.

I'm excited and ready for this new challenge, and optimistic for the good it's going to do for my little family.  We're going to be busy.  We're going to be exhausted.  But, we're going to have fun.  And that will make it all worth it.

So, I better get to getting if we're going to make it to that meeting on time.

Have a great Saturday, everyone!!

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what's on your mind - I love to hear from you!