Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Baby Shower Ready

After school, today, I'm going to a baby shower for one of my co-workers.  She's going to have a little girl in December, pretty close to Jelly's birthday actually.  So, for the past couple of weeks, I've been crocheting a few baby things.

Anyone that's read this blog for a while knows that crocheting is something I only do in the fall and winter.  I'm not a year-long crocheter, and I do it for the pure fun of crocheting.  I have been told by countless people that I should sell the stuff I make, but I just enjoy making stuff.  I don't want to turn it in to a job.  It's a lot more fun if I just get to make whatever I want, whenever I want and then share that stuff with people if I don't need or want it.

Anywho, since being invited to the baby shower, I've had a purpose for stuff that I wanted to make:  Baby stuff.  Momma-to-be had asked me about making her a hat for the little one, but I knew I had to go a lot further than that.  Being that I only had a set time, I wanted to focus on a set of some sort, so I decided on a blanket/hat/mittens set. I used a yarn color that is similar to the nursery color, which is yellow.  Not baby yellow, more like a bright yellow.  I got the blanket, hat, and mittens made in about a week, and wanted to make something different.  So, that's when I moved on to making a little sweater.  

I found a pattern that I liked, and made sure I didn't have to sew anything.  I can NOT sew.  It's weird, but true.  I can crochet all day long, and make a ton of stuff with a crochet hook and yarn, but if it requires sewing, I get nervous and shy away from that stuff.  I was ecstatic when I found a pattern for something like a baby sweater that didn't require any sewing.  

I started the sweater Saturday night, and finished it up last night.  I also made another hat to go with the sweater.  Both turned out pretty well.  Extremely well for being my first time making something like that.  I would share pictures, but I don't want to spoil the surprise if Momma-to-be happens to read my blog today.  I made the sweater out of a lavender purple yarn.  I picked it up while I was out shopping on Friday, along with a couple of other balls of yarn that will come in handy over the next couple of weeks.

Now, my baby shower goodies are all finished, and I even managed to dig out some other baby stuff I made last year that needed a good home.  
 
Even though my focus was to make a few things for the baby shower, my baby stuff making days are far from over.  I have several other items I want to make, including a dress and a pair of baby Tom's.  They won't be shower gifts, but they will be gifts for the same baby... she just won't get them for another couple of weeks.  

I am excited about having new projects to try out.  I've been crocheting for several years, now, and I've made a lot of stuff.  I can knock out hats, headbands, scarves, and blankets in no time but I like to challenge myself.  I get bored making the same ol' stuff, so I'm always looking for new things to try.  Baby stuff is always a great place to start for new ideas, because baby stuff is little and quicker to knock out.  I know that sounds funny, but I'm not a big fan, and a little too impatient for starting big projects.  I like to make stuff that only takes a few days to create, because I get bored easily and like a new challenge.  The best thing about crocheting is that I can make the same type of stuff over and over and try out new patterns, stitches, and designs.  

Last year, I got hooked on infinity scarves.  Do you know how many different ways I can make an infinity scarf?  TONS.  And people like infinity scarves.  If I ever do sell anything, it's infinity scarves.  I don't think I could ever get bored with making them, so I know that once I'm out of baby things to make I'll be moving back to those.  I'm also going to try and make a sweater for Jelly, similar to the one I made for the baby shower.  I only have a pattern for a baby size, but I think with some adjustments, I could make it a lot bigger.  If I do manage to figure that out, I'll save myself a fortune because then I'll start making a couple for me.  I wear a lot of sweaters, so it would be nice to be able to make them for myself instead of shelling out $50 a pop at a store.  I figure if it takes four balls of yarn to make an adult size, it'll still only cost me about $12 to make one.  

Anywho, the time has come for me to start getting ready for work.  I have a planning day with the county 4th grade teachers today, so I won't actually be at work.  I'm looking forward to getting with all the other 4th grade teachers from the county to share ideas and make some units.  It'll be a very productive day, I can guarantee that.

Have an awesome Wednesday, everyone!!
Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what's on your mind - I love to hear from you!