Sunday, November 24, 2013

Day Twenty Four: Thankful for Lazy Days

                       

For the past several weeks, I've tried starting a new tradition in our house... Lazy Saturdays.  A day dedicated to lazing around the house in our jammies, watching TV, playing video games, listening to music, watching movies...whatever floats our boat.

It's a day that no plans are made to go anywhere, other than a quick run to the grocery store if needed.  I try and do a little cleaning, but nothing too strenuous.  A quick vacuum of the rugs, sweep the floors, dust the shelves, and clean the kitchen.  Takes no more than 45 mins to an hour.  Some Saturdays, if I feel like it, I throw some laundry in the washer.. but even that has been something I've started putting off until Sunday.

At first, the kids were really thrown off.  Saturdays were usually the days we'd go out and do something.  Visit family.  Grocery shopping.  Other errands.  All planned on Saturdays.  There was hardly a Saturday that went by that we weren't out doing something or another.  If we didn't go anywhere on Saturdays, then I would be sitting at my computer working.  I'd be wading through a pile of grading, looking up lesson ideas, writing lesson plans, and entering all the grades from the pile of grading I had spent hours doing.  So, to declare that from here on out that Saturdays would be a Do Nothing Day was a little weird for them...and hard for them to handle at first.

Pretty much every Saturday is my work at home day regardless of what I call it.  I always had the option of doing my work in my pajamas before, but I had to be sitting at my desk in my office.  I often felt secluded from the rest of the family, and regardless of what I was wearing.. I was "at work".  Now, thanks to a nifty new side table that slides under my chair in the living room, I can do some work in my big comfy chair, right in front of the TV, with the family all around me.  I know some people probably wouldn't consider that very relaxing, but it really is for me.  I don't know why, but it's hard for me to just sit and watch TV.  I have to have something to do while I'm watching TV.  Be it working or playing on my phone or iPad.  Don't know why I'm like that, just am... but I still consider it very relaxing.

The kids are slowly coming around to enjoying our Lazy Saturdays as much as I am.  

Peanut usually spends the entire day in bed, watching her own TV, listening to music, or reading.  There are some Saturdays that the only time I see her is at meal times, or when she decides that she wants to watch whatever movie we're watching.  

Jelly is also starting to come around.  As you can see from the picture that I snapped yesterday.  That is basically the sight seen in my living room on a Saturday afternoon.  She's snuggled up on the recliner with a blanket...and Katniss.  Our cat absolutely ADORES Lazy Saturday, because at any time she can snuggle up with someone.  Jelly finds it a lot more comfy with no shirt on, but we've finally started persuading her to at least put a t-shirt on.  Yesterday was just one of those days where PJ pants and a blanket were all that she needed...and why not?  If I could get away with lazing around with no shirt on, I'd totally do it.  HA!

Hubby is in his absolute glory when I declare a Lazy Saturday.  He'd much rather stay home every day than go out and do stuff.  Sitting in his chair watching TV, playing on his PS3, or doing something on his computer or iPad is his idea of the perfect day.  Now that the weather is too cold to go out for a ride on his motorcycle, he's perfectly happy sitting at home all day.  Plus we can catch up on the shows I wasn't home to watch throughout the week.

The only one that struggles a little is Butter.  And for a kid with ADHD, I can understand that a day of doing absolutely nothing can be extremely challenging.  He's got to be going, going, going, constantly. He can keep himself amused on the PS3 for a little while, or on the computer.  He then might mosey on outside to ride his bike or shoot some hoops.  Then he's back inside in his room for a little while.  Then, he's back on the computer.  And the whole time I know that it's driving him nuts not having some direction or plans or SOMETHING to do that he hasn't already done.  He's not really in to watching TV for very long.  He's not really in to doing anything for very long.  And when I tell him that we don't have anything on our agenda, and it's just a day to amuse ourselves...he gets all kinds of antsy and cranky.

But, he'll either come around like Jelly did or suck it up.  Because he sometimes has to understand that it's good for us to have a day without having plans or going somewhere.  That our bodies need to rest and relax.  I'm thinking about trying some different hobbies out on him...like putting puzzles together, or drawing.  I've tried the reading approach, but that definitely won't happen.  He's not a fan of reading.

Yesterday was one of THE most relaxing Lazy Saturdays I've ever had.  Yesterday morning, Hubby woke me up at 11:30.  He was a little concerned because I NEVER sleep that late.  I might sleep in until 9AM or so, but close to noon?  No.  And, I know I needed that sleep because I haven't slept very well all week long.  

We have one of my "adopted children" spending the weekend with us, so she and Peanut actually hung out with us in the living room all day.  Hubby and I made a quick run to Walmart for snack food, but other than that we were all on the couch in front of the TV.  I had my pile of work in front of me.  Jelly was in the recliner with Katniss.  Butter was on the computer.  And the girls were snuggled up on the couch with a comforter.  We stayed that way most of the day...and after dinner we put on a movie and watched that as a family.  

Once the movie was over, the kids started fading.  Peanut and her friend fell asleep on the couch.  Jelly  asked for me to take her to bed.  Butter went to bed.  And Hubby and I enjoyed the quiet time.  I carried on working while he played a video game with another one of my "adopted children" online.  He's been driving me nuts, lately, about talking Hubby in to playing video games online with him..and last night Hubby finally did it.  They both enjoyed themselves until it was time to hit the hay.  

But the whole day was perfect.  Peaceful.  Relaxing.  And it helped recharge my batteries and prepare me for the week ahead.

Today, it's back to the go-go-go mentality.  I am taking the day off work tomorrow to take care of something related to the personal situation I'm dealing with, and it requires me to be up and out at 5AM in the morning.  Because of that, I had to find somewhere for the girls to stay.  Butter has a doctor's appointment in the morning, and Hubby will be taking him to his appointment and then to school after.

Thankfully, I have an amazing boss who was willing to take Jelly for the night.  I haven't seen Jelly this excited since last Christmas!  She absolutely adores my principal, and that was the reason I asked her. She is about the only person I work with that Jelly will feel comfortable enough spending the night with.  

Peanut will be staying at her friend's house.  Her friend's momma is such a great friend, and I knew it would be no problem asking her.  She knows I'd do anything to help her out, and I feel the same way about her.

So, here in a little while I'll be taking the girls to where they'll be spending the night.  Once I get home, Hubby, Butter, and I will be going out to do our grocery shopping.  We still haven't bought our Thanksgiving stuff, so we definitely need to get on that today.

I guess I have a lot to be thankful for today...just like everyday.  

Time to be lazy with my family.  A boss that goes above and beyond to help me out.  A great friend who's willing to help me out.  And, peace of mind knowing that I can take care of family situations without having to worry.  

What an awesome, blessed life I have.  
Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what's on your mind - I love to hear from you!