Monday, December 09, 2013

Christmas Don't Be Late

                                   


So, Hubby wasn't as nice to me as I thought he would be yesterday, and he made me go grocery shopping.  This is the view I had from my seat in the car, and we were driving on the main highway.  Yeah, as you can see, not so good.

The good thing was, though, Hubby really can drive on snow and ice and we didn't slide one time.  We managed to go to the store, get through the severely crazy drivers, and get home safely without me freaking out one time.  

Even though Hubby did a really good job, I came home knowing that if I had to drive to work the next day, I would freak out.  There's no way I could do it.  There was still WAY too much snow and ice on the roads for me to drive safely all the way to work.

Thankfully, I didn't have to worry about it too long.  The phone call came yesterday afternoon that school was cancelled for today.  If the weather doesn't get above freezing today, there is some speculation that school will also be cancelled tomorrow.  The temperature isn't supposed to get above freezing, but I've been told that Missouri roads are WAY better than Arkansas roads, so I'm not getting my hopes up too soon.

All of these snow days are great, except there's now a chance of more snow in the forecast for next weekend.  That worries me.  I have so much to take care of between now and Christmas that I can't really afford to spend another weekend cooped up in the house because of snow and ice.  I have two kids that would be perfectly fine Christmas morning, but I have one child that still doesn't have a whole lot and needs for me to be able to get out and shop for her.

I really don't want to have to try and Christmas shop a mere four days before Christmas, because the chances that I'll be able to find what I'm looking for is slim to none.  Not to mention stocking stuffers and family gifts.  I usually take the kids out shopping for gifts for the family a couple of weeks before Christmas, and that chance is getting smaller.  It may be that I'm taking them Christmas shopping the weekend right before Christmas.

My procrastination seems to have bit me in the rear again.  I don't know when I'll learn.  A few years ago, I had most of my Christmas shopping done by Halloween.  Now, I'm lucky if I get all my Christmas shopping done by Christmas.  I know better than to wait so long.  Yeah, I managed to get in a good day of shopping last weekend, but I only got about half of what I need to buy.  Jelly is pretty much done, got most of Butter's taken care of, yet Peanut was with me shopping so she didn't get hardly anything.  

This next coming weekend, the plan is to finish up Butter, take care of Peanut, and buy all the stocking stuffers.  I like to get them early so that I'm not trying to wade through whatever's left.  That is if the weather decides to leave us alone for a week so I can do what I need to do.

Christmas shopping is one thing I need to take care of, but there's also a lot happening at school that needs to be done before Christmas break.  Our end of semester testing was scheduled for this week, and next week is supposed to be our practice run for our end of year testing.  With the days dwindling down this week, it's going to put a little kink in the system.  It's going to be really hard to have an end of semester celebration that's based on our current growth test scores if there aren't any test scores to use.

While I won't complain about the snow days I get to spend at home, and all the extra time I have with my family and doing stuff I've been wanting to do for a while, I can complain just a little about how much is NOT getting done while the snow is on the ground.  Well, not really complain, more like worry.  

I know there's not really much I can do about the situation.  Worst case scenario is that I have to shop way too close to Christmas, and our final few days of school are spent in "crazy mode" while we do what we need to do to get everything taken care of that needs to be taken care of.

One thing I can guarantee is that I will do everything in my power to make sure that Christmas comes without any hiccups, and that everything is taken care of beforehand.  Even if that means having Hubby drive me around on the snow and ice this coming weekend to get my Christmas shopping finished.

I'm sure he'll be thrilled.  As will I.

Changing subjects just a little, I had to get up this morning at 5AM despite not having school today.  I made arrangements for my "adopted kid" (who will now be referred to as "A.K.") to come spend the day with us being that his dad works in my town.  I didn't want him home alone all day, so I'm glad that his dad was able to bring him here.  

Right now, I'm watching quite the humorous situation unfold.  A.K's Playstation 3 died this weekend.  So, Hubby is currently opening it up to see if it can be saved.  Watching A.K. watch Hubby attempt to fix the system is the funny part.  It's almost as though actual surgery is being performed, and A.K. is praying that his PS3 pulls through.  The anticipation and suspense is keeping us all on edge.  And me laughing inside.  

It amazes me how much boys think of their toys.

For the rest of today, I'll be busy making sure to push out my lesson plans another day, doing some more crocheting, and keeping kids occupied. I've managed to finish two scarves and two matching headbands.  Today, I'm starting a different scarf style to see how it comes out.  

I also need to come up with some new ideas for the blog.  I don't know about any of you, but I'm kinda getting bored blogging about the snow.  Being so close to Christmas, there has to be better topics to write about.  And, of course, figuring out the best way to link up my blogs to Christmas songs.  I'm feeling some Christmas lists and letters to Santa may be in the future, and let's not forget the twelve days of Christmas.  There has to be something I can do with that, right?  But, I think that today will be the last day I blog about snow...or snow days...or being at home because of the snow.  It's time to move on, focus on Christmas, and let the Christmas spirit out.  No matter what hiccups I encounter along the way... Christmas won't be late.

OK, that's enough from me today....

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what's on your mind - I love to hear from you!