Sunday, December 22, 2013

Christmas Wrapping

                                            "Bah, humbug" no, that's too strong
                                         'Cause it is my favorite holiday
                                      But all this year's been a busy blur
                                          Don't think I have the energy


That's the first verse of the song "Christmas Wrapping" by the waitresses.  Even though there is not a single mention of wrapping in the entire song.  But the first verse does fit perfectly with my feelings of wrapping gifts.

It was my goal, yesterday, to get as much wrapping done as possible.  I told myself that as soon as I was done writing my blog, I'd go and get a start on all of it.  Well, when I went to start, I decided I had better start my laundry first.  And then once my laundry was in the washer, I realized that I needed to fold and put away laundry that I had done a few days ago that was still sitting in a basket.  After the laundry was all put away, I went in to the kitchen to fill up my coffee cup and saw that the kitchen really needed to be cleaned, so I decided to wash dishes and clean all the counters and stuff in the kitchen.  

If you know me AT ALL, or have at least gotten to know me through my blog, you have to really reread that last paragraph and weigh what I'm saying.

I would rather DO LAUNDRY and DISHES than wrap Christmas presents!

On any other day, I'd rather shove hot pokers in to my eye sockets than fold laundry and wash dishes. But, when it comes to finding stuff to do that distracts me from wrapping, apparently laundry and dishes were my best options.

I did finally make it in to my bedroom to wrap a few gifts.  I put on a Hallmark Christmas movie, but honestly I couldn't tell you a thing about what was going on with the movie.  I was focused on the wrapping.  Even though there's a lock on my bedroom door, I spent the whole time panicking that someone was going to walk in.  Trying to wrap gifts while my kids are playing in the very next room is extremely stressful.  Inside I knew that I was fine, but it didn't stop the adrenaline from taking over...and I wrapped as fast and as carefully as I could.  I don't think I did too bad a job, and I was surprised how many I wrapped in such a short amount of time.

But, I had to go do something outside of my bedroom a short time in, and that required putting everything away, hiding what had been wrapped, and not leaving the slightest trace of what had been happening in that room while I was in there.  That was just too much work for me to do just to get it all out again when I had taken care of what I needed to take care of, so my short wrapping time was over for the time being.

I spent the rest of the day doing more laundry and crocheting.  It felt good to just relax, but I have to admit that the wrapping that was still waiting to be done was irking.  As much as I take pride in being the Queen of Procrastination, I know when enough is enough and there's just no more time to wait around.  I did my best to try and ignore it, and told myself that I still had two days to finish up.  I kept myself occupied until Hubby made dinner, and then after dinner I even decided to make some dessert.

I ordered some pears from the FFA a while back, and they were delivered to me the first week of December.  What was left were starting to get a little too soft, so I decided to bake the last of them up with some brown sugar and cinnamon.  Very Christmassy, right?  I made some hot custard to serve with them, and the kids and I chowed down on some baked pears and custard.  My house smelled very Christmassy, and the kids really enjoyed it.  

I then decided I really needed to get my rear back in gear with the wrapping, but had to wait out Jelly to go to sleep.  And, of course, wouldn't you know that last night was the one night that she decided to stay up until close to 10PM.  

I swear, that child is usually out by 8PM every. single. night.  No matter if there's school or not, whether she's had a nap or not, she's usually in bed by 8PM.  But, not last night.  After getting up at 6AM, not having a nap all day, she still managed to muster up the energy to stay up until almost 10PM.  She ended up falling asleep on the couch, which was actually better for me because then I could lock myself up in my room and I was at the opposite end of the house from where she was sleeping.

I, once again, locked myself in my room and got a huge stack of gifts wrapped.  I had brought in a big load from my hiding place and worked my way through all of those.  Unfortunately, I still have plenty more to do... which is on the agenda once again today.

Before I can get to wrapping, though, I have to go grocery shopping and buy the last gift that I haven't bought yet... and that would be for my dad.  I'm taking Butter with me, because he hasn't had the chance to help me with any Christmas shopping.  If anyone can find a gift for my dad, it's Butter.  He also needs to find something small for Hubby to open Christmas morning.  Hubby already has his Christmas gift, the new iPhone 5S I bought him last week.  But, I can't have Hubby not unwrapping something Christmas morning.

So, it's going to be another jam packed fun filled day around here.  Which if I have any chance of getting everything done, I better get to getting!

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what's on your mind - I love to hear from you!