Friday, December 06, 2013

Since We've No Place to Go...Let it Snow, Let it Snow, Let it Snow!

                               

This is a picture of my driveway at 9AM this morning.  My driveway is under there somewhere, although you can't tell due to the 5-6" of snow that's sitting on top of it.  

It's absolutely beautiful.  It's that thick, snowman building type of snow.  Butter and Jelly can't wait to get out in it and play... but being the overprotective mother that I am, I've asked that they hold off just a little while.  It's currently 18 degrees outside, and it's still snowing pretty hard.  I would like for them to at least wait until this afternoon when the temperatures get up in to the lower 20s.  

The snow is supposed to keep coming down until early this afternoon, but the temperature won't be getting above freezing until the middle of next week.  In fact, we're even supposed to see some negative numbers in the next day or so.  Brrrrrr!!!

As of right now, there's even more snow in the forecast for Sunday, but being that Sunday is still a few days out, I'm not going to really think about that until Sunday is here.

Thankfully, yesterday, I didn't have to drive in bad weather.  We all did have to go to school yesterday morning, even though every school in a hundred mile radius of us had closed...in Arkansas and Oklahoma.  Missouri schools were still in session.  At first, I was a little upset about it.  All the other schools were being proactive.  No actual bad weather had come in yet, but they knew it was coming so they figured it just easier to cancel for the entire day.  My school district didn't.  But, when we got to school they decided to do an early release at noon.  It was exactly around noon when the ice rain started coming down, and it wasn't until about 1:30PM or so that it started sticking to the roads, so everyone was able to get home from school safe and sound.  I left thinking the early release was a much better idea because we still got half a day of school in, and I don't think we have to count it as a snow day now.

We had only been home a little while when the call came that there'd be no school today, and if things keep going the way they are going right now, I very much doubt we'll even have school on Monday.  There's going to be about 7-8" of snow when it's all said and done, and with temperatures not even getting in to the 30s before Monday, I don't see how it will melt enough to allow for school.

Jelly had a great birthday.  She was able to be at school to have her birthday cupcakes, and have her class sing to her.  Then she was able to get home early enough from school so that we could make her birthday cake, and she could play with her new ponies that Mommy and Daddy got her.  Being that she loves to bake, I wasn't surprised that she wanted to make her own birthday cake.  The original plan was to make two strawberry cakes, put them on top of each other with strawberry icing in the middle, and then cover the entire thing with chocolate ganache.  However, because Momma waited a little too late to start baking, and we only had one cake pan (didn't think about that when I was at the store), she opted for a strawberry cake with strawberry icing for her birthday, and then today we're going to make strawberry cupcakes with the ganache icing just for fun.

                      

She got to pick what we had for dinner last night, and went with her absolute favorite...breakfast for dinner.  Biscuits, gravy, sausage, and bacon. I swear, that kid would eat biscuits and gravy every single day if we'd let her.  Once dinner was over, it was time for her to ice her cake and do the candles and singing.

                                 

Here she is with her finished cake.  She put some icing on her nose because she thought it would better show that she was the one to make the cake and ice it herself.  How she'd end up with icing on her nose, I don't know... but we all thought it was pretty funny.

                                 

This is while we were singing "Happy Birthday".  As you can see from the expression on her face, she's  gotten to the age where it's kinda embarrassing to sit there while people sing to you.  She was ready for that to be over before we even started.

                                  

She was so dainty when it came to blowing out her candles.  She wanted to do one candle at a time, despite the fact that wax was dripping all over the cake.  I tried to tell her that if she didn't blow the candles out all at the same time, she wouldn't get her wish.  That didn't bother her, and she flat out told me she didn't wish for anything because she already had everything she wanted.  Oh yes, that's my daughter.  HA!

                                   

Finally time to sit down and enjoy her creation.  However, because she had been testing and licking bowls and leftover icing while she was cooking, she was a little too full to eat the entire slice.  Which didn't surprise me.  She's always like that... much rather make the stuff than eat it.

Other than baking a cake with Jelly, I spent my day digging out my crocheting stuff.  I'd been meaning to do it for a couple of weeks, but a snow day was the PERFECT day to start my winter crocheting.  I even found an app that has tons of cute little creations I can make that don't require a lot of time.  My hope, like every winter, is to make a few things to sell and to give to my kiddos in my class.  I found patterns for infinity scarves, hats, ear warmer headbands, and I think that this year I'm going to try and make some flowers that are attached to bobby pins.  That way they can be added to the hats, headbands, and scarves without requiring me to have to sew them.  They can also be sold separately so that people can buy them and add them to stuff they already have.

In addition to the crocheting, I also have the first book in the Divergent series to read.  I've been dying to read them, and I made sure to pick up the first book last weekend.  Of course, Hubby just informed me that he bought all three books for his iPad so I actually have all three books available to read.  Plus, there are TONS of Christmas movies to watch.  It doesn't usually take long for cabin fever to set in with me, but I'm really thinking that I am going to enjoy my snowy weekend.  I have tons to keep me busy, and as long as the kids don't start driving me nuts because they are bored, I should be OK.

Speaking of Hubby, thankfully he didn't try and drive to work last night.  It always scares me when we get weather like this, because he has that attitude that he can drive in anything.  While it's true that he remains very calm while driving in bad weather, and has great control of the car...it still scares the crap out of me when he tries to drive on snow and ice.  There are a lot of crazy drivers around here, and just because he's quite skilled in driving in bad weather doesn't mean the people he meets on the road are.  I'd much rather know he's safe her with me and missing a day of pay than for him to get in a nasty wreck.
  
Right now, I think I'm going to grab another cup of coffee and get started on my snow day activities.

Have a great Friday, everyone!!


Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what's on your mind - I love to hear from you!