Friday, August 08, 2014

And I'm Done....Almost

Well, after putting in approximately 30 hours over four days, I can now say that my classroom is completely cleaned out and organized.  The clutter is either boxed up, been given away, or is in the dumpster.  I just had bite the bullet and make some decisions about what I really needed and what just had to go.  And, I'm very happy to say I am not a hoarder, like some people thought.  OK, I'm a hoarder when it comes to books... but everything else is gone or I plan on using it and found it a good home.  

When I left at 5PM, yesterday, all that I left to do is put reading levels in to a small pile of books, label all the cubbies and student clips, and make the name plates for the desks.  So, it's cosmetic stuff left to do.  And, I have a couple of days to do that next week.

I honestly thought I was never going to get through it all.  It just seemed like I was going round in circles moving stuff from one pile to another...and that's when I just got tired of it and started throwing it all out.  But, I knew I just didn't want to be one of those people that holds on to stuff for years and years and it never even sees the light of day.  If I could go back and talk to myself before I got my teaching job, I'd tell myself to NOT buy so much stuff!  I think it's best for new teachers to wait until they are in their classroom and buy only the things they need at the time.  I don't even want to think about how much stuff I got rid of this week that's never been used that I bought several years ago with a big idea for using in my classroom.  That's a lot of money out the window.

But, oh well.  It's done.  I'm done.  And this year, I'm going to make a point of not holding on to stuff I don't need.  My goal is that by the end of this school year, I can pack stuff away so that I don't have to use the last week of my summer break next year getting ready.  It'll be a quick and easy process.  Let's hope, anyway.

Today, I have errands to run.  Butter has an appointment this morning and Peanut has show choir practice this afternoon.  In between, I'll be taking a trip to the teacher store to buy a new lesson plan book and possibly some new desk name plates.  I'm going to go in to that store remembering what I just said about not buying stuff I don't need.  

Tomorrow is more show choir practice and the block party.  Sunday, I'm taking the kids school clothes shopping.  And, then Monday is the big day.  My first "official" day back to work.  The morning will be spent at an all-district meeting, and then it's back to our home schools for our beginning year meetings.  

This time last week, I wasn't ready.  I wasn't excited.  I was wondering what happened to my summer and just wasn't ready for it to be over.  But now?  Now, I'm ready.  Being in my classroom this week has given me the itch to get started, back to my normal routines, back to my busy life.  

A busy life it's going to be, too.  Next Thursday, I start a new year as a teacher and in two weeks, I start back to school as a student.  Yep, my Master's program starts on August 27th.  So, every week, I'll be attending a class for my Master's Degree.  Throw that in to show choir practices for Peanut, and football practices and games for Butter and it'll be quite the fun semester.  

For the next 18 months, I'll be back in school living the college life.  I don't even get summer off next year.  There'll be no vacations for me, I'll be in class each week.  But, it'll be worth it in the end.  Not just the accomplishment of having my Master's Degree, but also the extra money I'll be paid.  Of course, I'll be spending a couple of years paying off the student loans I had to take out in order to pay for my degree, but eventually I'm sure I'll see some monetary payoff for all of my hard work.  

Anywho, I should probably think about getting around.  If you haven't caught on, I'll be blogging about my teaching life more and more now.  It won't all be about getting ready for the start of the year, though.  I promise.  There'll be plenty of fun and more interesting stuff for me to cover, soon.  Stay tuned!!

Have a great Friday, everyone!!

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what's on your mind - I love to hear from you!