Friday, August 22, 2014

It's Time for Some Football

                              

It's that time of the year, once again.  School has started back up, which means it's time for some FOOTBALL.  I am not a NFL football fan.  Don't have a favorite pro team, not interested in pro games, and you'll never catch any form of pro football playing on my TV.  But high school and Jr. high ball?  That's where my heart is.  I LOVE watching some football played when I'm right there in the stands, cheering on kids that I know and love.

One of those kiddos will be Butter.  His first game is September 11th, but the high school kicks off their season tonight.  I won't be at that game, unfortunately, but there's plenty more that I'll be attending over the course of the season.

I don't know what it is about local football, but it's so much more exciting (in my opinion) than watching a game on TV.  You can feel the dedication, the support, the sportsmanship.  It's great to sit side-by-side with other parents and fans and cheer on our home team.  

This year, I also get to experience some college ball.  Not just ANY college ball... but MY alma mater:  The Arkansas Razorbacks.  

Now, I'm not a big Razorback sport watcher, but I consider myself a Razorback fan.  Because I keep my support driven towards the college where I earned my degree.  I spent four years being a Razorback, so it's only right that I continue my support for the team where I once called my home away from home.  

But this year?  This year, I get the opportunity to be at EVERY home Razorback football game.  However, I won't be there watching the games, I'll be there working in the concession stands and listening to the game.  

As apart of the high school show choir fundraising efforts, the booster club has the opportunity to run a concession stand at the Razorback football games in order to earn some money for the choir.  Not only did I jump on that opportunity when it was presented, but I was also volunteered to be the parent in charge of the whole thing and be at EVERY home game.  

Each parent is responsible for volunteering for two or three games or events over the course of the school year, to help raise money for their child that is in show choir... I'll be going to six games.  And, I'm OK with that.  I told myself that I wasn't going to start volunteering to take on too much this year, because I'm going back to school and the kids keep me plenty busy running them to practices, games, and performances anyway.  But, I couldn't pass up a chance of going to every Razorback home football game, and making some money for the choir in the process.

Which is why I didn't feel the slightest bit guilty for not signing up for anything else to do over the year.  I think the time I'm volunteering during those six games is more than enough.  Especially being that I'll be working from around 3PM to around midnight each Saturday that I work.  

The Fall is always the time of year I love the most, because I'm always so dang busy.  Usually it's football and volleyball.  But, being that Peanut decided against volleyball this year, it's going to be football, football, and more football.  The last half of my weeks are going to be CRAZY busy.  I'll be in school for 4 hours each and every Wednesday night, Butter has his games on Thursday nights, the varsity team play on Friday nights, and then there will be the Razorback games on Saturdays.  Thankfully, I'll only be going to the home games for the varsity and Razorbacks, so it won't be EVERY weekend.  I'll get a couple of Friday nights and Saturdays off here and there.  

If I had any hope of getting and staying organized, it's going to have to happen now.  Being in college for my Master's Degree is going to be a tough endeavor.  Throw in all the extra-curriculars, and it's going to be an exhausting ride.  I'm going to have to really make sure I manage my time wisely, and stay on top of all of my school demands in order to make it all work.  There won't be any room for procrastination and just waiting until the last minute to get everything done.  Cause there may not be a last minute.  Each minute is going to have to be carefully planned out and accounted for.  

But, I'm energized and ready to take it all on.

This past week, I've been happier than I've been in a long time.  The last couple of weeks of summer break were boring, and I got lazy and moody.  I hated sitting around the house, twiddling my thumbs, trying to come up with something that would keep me occupied.  Now that I'm back to work, and getting my crazy, busy life back... I'm feeling happy, energized, and ready to keep piling it on.  

Even though some people think I take on too much and stretch myself too thin, I don't look at it that way.  I look at it as making memories.  Making each moment with my kids count.  When they are all grown up, with kids of their own, I'll be able to reminisce with them about their childhood, how I was at all their games, working at fundraisers, driving them here, there, and everywhere.  My life is all about them.  I am their number one fan...and that's how it should be.  It's just an added bonus that I love doing it so much.

I work hard so they have everything they need, and plenty that they want.  It's just a bonus that I have the job that I've always wanted and love doing.  I willingly give up all my free time to attend their games and performances.  It's just a bonus that I absolutely love watching them play and perform.  I gladly accept not getting home until after 6:30PM so that they can attend practices each and every night.  It's just a bonus that I get to use that time working in my classroom.  And, I'll gladly give up my weekends to work in a hot concession stand for 8-9 hours so that my child and the whole choir has money to buy the supplies that they need.  It's just a bonus that I get to listen to the football games while I'm doing it. 

And, it's not like I don't ever take time for myself.  I occasionally get to go out with a friend, or lay on the couch all day.  I'm going back to school, which is something I'm doing for myself.  Every once in a while I'll sleep in, or go shopping alone, or sit out on the patio and read.  

But, at the end of the day, I'm most happy when I'm doing something for or with my kids.  Because, that's what being a mother is all about - and it's just a bonus I absolutely LOVE doing exactly that.  My kids will never be able to grow up and say that I wasn't there for them.  They'll never have to struggle to think back to a time where I was there for them.  In fact, they'll have to struggle with thinking of a time I wasn't there... because that will never happen.

My relationship with my kids is everything to me.  I got to have my childhood, I've got to experience life without the burden of work and bills.  And now it's my kids turn to have all of that.  I'm just making sure that I'm a part of it.  I want to be a part of those memories that my kids hold on to.  

And, that's something I will always cherish.

Have a great Friday, everyone!!

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what's on your mind - I love to hear from you!