Saturday, August 23, 2014

Not Cool, Lay's...Just Not Cool

                                 

Around 6:30 last night, I got home after an exhausting day of work.  I wandered in to the kitchen to find out what we were having for dinner (because Hubby usually has dinner waiting for us when we get home), and I came face-to-face with this bag sitting on my counter.  Now, before I go any further, I should probably explain something to you, so that you can really understand my opinion on this bag that was sitting on my counter.

I love coffee.  And that's putting it mildly.  Coffee is my most favorite thing to drink.  I can't even function if I don't have my daily coffee intake requirements satisfied.  And, I'm not just talking about the caffeine thing.  It has to be coffee, because there's just nothing better than starting out the day with a hot cup of coffee.  My love for coffee doesn't even stop there.  I love the smell of it, and have coffee scented candles and Scentsy bars.  I a;so love various flavored coffees: Mochas, lattes, cappuccinos.  I will drink coffee hot or cold, and love Frappes and iced coffees and frozen coffees.  I go ga-ga crazy over coffee flavored ice-cream, candies, and cakes.  I just can't get enough of the stuff.

I absolutely LOVE coffee.

But, when I got home last night and saw this bag on my counter, my first reaction was WHAT THE HECK ARE THEY?  Coffee flavored potato chips?  Urm...no!  Yet, being such a lover of coffee I thought that I better try one before making rash judgements on such a thing.  I have tried chocolate covered potato chips and loved them, so maybe...just maybe coffee flavored chips wouldn't be so bad.

I was wrong.

I placed one of the chips in to my mouth, and I can't even describe the yuck that penetrated through my mouth.  It was disgusting.  I don't know if it was the texture or the combination of chip flavor and coffee flavor, but my taste buds knew instantly that they were no bueno!  I have never put a coffee flavored something in my mouth and been so repulsed.  They were GROSS!    

Hubby's heart was in the right place by picking them up.  He knows my addiction to all things coffee, so he was just trying to be nice.  But, there is no way I'd ever put another one of those things in my mouth again.  

I understand that Lay's is just trying to be creative and come up with some fun, new ideas for chip flavors... but there are somethings that just don't belong on a potato chip, and coffee is one of them.

I wasn't really that impressed with the last round of flavors.  The Chicken & Waffles and Cheesy Garlic Bread were OK, but nothing for me to really get all excited about.  This new set of flavors offer Bacon Cheesy Mac, Wasabi Ginger, Mango Salsa, and the abominations that are Cappuccino flavored.  I'll try the Bacon and Wasabi... but I'm not holding my breath that the Mango Salsa will be all that great.  I'm just not into sweet chips.  

But, the problem with coming out with all these new flavors is the fact that even if I find one I really like, they won't be around long enough to really enjoy.  You get to liking one of them, and BAM...they've disappeared off the shelves.  I'm OK if the cappuccino ones disappear, but say I really like the Wasabi Ginger, just like several people who have already told me how great they are.  Say I really love them.  Unless the entire country votes to keep them, I will only get to enjoy them for a little while until they're ripped off the shelves and replaced with some other crazy, new flavor.  

That's why, when it comes to chips, I stick to the classics.  Give me a bag of sour cream and onion or barbecue, and I'm all set.  Because they taste great, and I know they're not going anywhere.  

I appreciate creativity.  I appreciate trying to step out of the box and trying new things.  But, when it comes to my love of coffee and my love of chips - I'll stick to the boring flavors I have always loved, and keeping them completely separated from each other.

Have a great Saturday, everyone!!


Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what's on your mind - I love to hear from you!