Saturday, April 20, 2013

Day 17: I Wish I Was Good At....



I had to get up at 3:30 this morning because I'm accompanying Peanut and Butter to their band contest at Pittsburg State University.  It's a two hour drive from the school, and I'm chaperoning the trip... so we have to be there at 5:30.  On a Saturday.  Awesome.

I wanted to try and get my blog post in before I left... hence the getting up at 3:30 part.

Day 17 asks:  What is something you wish you were great at?

I have thought about this topic for a couple of days.  There are several things I wish I was good at.  But, one thing that I've always wished I was better...good...great at would be art.

I am the worst drawer.  Seriously.  I can't draw a face or a person or..well.. anything.  When I try and draw out something for my students, we have a good laugh at my expense over alternate things my "drawing" could be mistaken for.  Nine times out of ten, the picture doesn't resemble anything I'm actually trying to draw.

Just the other day, I tried to illustrate how the earth rotates around the sun.  By the time I was done, my picture looked more like a fried egg.  The kids got what I was trying to tell them... but it was frustrating not being able to draw something as simple as a circle with some dotted lines around it.

But, honestly, it's not drawing simple sketches that I'd like to be great at... it's art in general.  I've always wanted to be one of those people that could drag out an easel and paints and sit in a park or my back yard and paint something beautiful.  Or carry a sketch book and pencil around and quietly and peacefully sketch pictures of my kids playing or family members.

I consider myself to be a pretty artsy type of person.  I enjoy looking at art.  I enjoy music of all varieties (except country..HA!).  I enjoy the theater and watching movies. I love visiting museums and cultural events showcasing cultural art and customs.  I enjoy things like meditation and yoga... and dream of having my own little garden one day where I can sit and relax or do some yoga among beautiful flowers.  It would also be nice to add drawing or painting pictures of what I see and feel.

Unfortunately, I'm pretty sure Jelly could do a better job at landscapes and capturing the beauty around me than I could.  Drawing, painting, sketching... just not things I can do.  At all.

I'm currently drinking coffee from a mug I painted at a birthday party I attended last year.  It was one of those parties where you go to an art studio and paint something ceramic.  I chose a mug.. because it was huge and could hold a lot of coffee.  While the mug came out looking OK, it's not something I could show off to people as a high accomplishment.  I had a hard time staying in the lines..and the flowers I painted on it are a little...urm... skewed.  Again, I loved the experience, but sure wish I had better control over a small paintbrush to be able to stay in the lines of a stencil.

Oh well... I can't complain too much.  I have been blessed with other talents.  And at least I have appreciation for the arts.  Maybe one day I'll take a painting class or join an art club.  Maybe.

But, that's one thing I wish I was great at.
Photobucket

1 comment:

  1. Have you ever heard of this book?

    http://www.amazon.com/The-Drawing-Right-Side-Brain/dp/0874774241

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what's on your mind - I love to hear from you!