Saturday, April 06, 2013

Day Three: Advice for My 16 Year Old Self

I have absolutely no idea if anyone is enjoying me picking a random topic to post about for the next 30 days... but I have to admit, I am.  It is really nice to sit down at my computer and have a topic ready to go.

Which is ironic, because I just attended a Writing Workshop training on Thursday that provided the strong advice to not limit students with writing topics...let them come up with their own.  Well, as a "writer" I know how difficult it can be to come up with writing topics.  However, I completely agreed with the trainer.  After writing for three years, however, it's no surprise that I have some trouble coming up with stuff to write about.

Anywho, today's topic is ten things I would tell my 16 year old self.

1.  You are going to have a lot of downfalls in your adult life, but every one of them leads to greatness.

2.  I will not tell you any specific things about your future or the mistakes that you'll make or when any of them happen.  Why?  Because I want you to go through each and every one.  If you don't, you will change the course of your future....and you won't end up with the life that we have now.

3.  You don't know everything...as much as you think you do.  But, it's OK to think that you do - because you're sixteen, and that's what most sixteen year old kids go through.

4.  As much as you think that our parents are crazy, mean people... you'll learn one day how important they are and how much they have really done for you.  What you take as unreasonableness now will make total sense to you twenty years from now when you are raising your own teenage daughter.  And it will blossom the relationship that you'll have with your parents.  Which is a great one.

5.  Boys don't put you on pedestals.  As much as you enjoy being wrapped up in the arms of your current beau...boys will come and go.  They will break your heart.  They will hurt you.  But, again, you need to feel and go through that heartache.  Because one day, you'll find a man.  That man will put you on a pedestal.  He will love you and treat you right.  It just takes going through a few sour apples before you find the perfect, sweet one.

6.  There are going to be so many situations in the next 15 years where you'll wonder what on earth you've done to deserve the terrible situations you'll go through.  I'm not telling you this to scare you, I'm just going to let you know that there is a light at the end of the tunnel.  Your early adult life is a test of strength and willpower...and I think it's OK to tell you that you'll pass the test with flying colors.  But, the tests won't be over when you're my age...they'll just be easier to face because you've already been through so much.

7.  You fulfill your life dreams.  Dreams we've had since we were little kids.  And there will be many, many times where you'll wonder..you'll doubt that you'll ever amount to anything.  But, guess what?  You do and will!

8.  You will become a mother.  A lot sooner than you'd think.  But you will be a great mother, and will sacrifice a lot to do everything you can for your children.  And it's your precious children that give you the fight to accomplish your dreams and do everything you've always wanted to do.  Think about that when you are holding them in your arms...because they will teach you just as much as you will teach them.

9.  Don't dwell on any mistake that you make.  One day you will have the attitude that everything that happens in your life happens for a reason. It's the reason I won't risk you changing any of those mistakes... they are life lessons and the impact on our lives from those mistakes are great.

10.  Enjoy life.

And there you have it.  Ten things I would tell my 16 year old self.  That was a lot harder than I thought it would be, actually.  For some reason, I had that song "The Graduation Song" in my head as I wrote it.  I haven't heard that song since I was in high school.. HA!

OK, enough from me...till tomorrow!


Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what's on your mind - I love to hear from you!