Sunday, April 07, 2013

Day Four: Things That Make Me Happy


I'm adding a picture today... just because I think it's sometimes a lot more fun to read something when there's a picture.  Pictures make me happy.  And that's what I'm supposed to be writing about today.... five things that make me happy RIGHT NOW.

Everyone knows that my kids, Hubby, my family, my job, etc. etc. make me happy.  But, this post is going to be a little less deep.  More about the little things in my life that I enjoy and put a smile on my face.

So... five things that make me happy.

1.  Being able to sleep with the windows open in the house, and waking up to the sounds of birds chirping.

I know that spring has arrived when I'm able to leave my windows open at night and the morning alarm clock consists of chirping from birds.  And the tap, tap, tapping from a nearby woodpecker.  It's those sounds that make me want to get out of bed, grab a cup of coffee, and sit outside and enjoy the wonder that nature is bestowing upon us.  New life, fresh green grass, cute furry animals waking up from their long winter's sleep.

There's also something about sleeping with the windows open.  I'm not sure if it's the fresh air, or the slight chill that's sent in that makes it so comforting - but I sleep best when the windows are open.  

2.  Opening up a brand new book.

Anyone that truly knows me will tell you that I'm a book junky.  I own hundreds of books.  My classroom library is a thing of wonder and awe.  After almost an entire school year, my students are still discovering books they never knew I had.  And, they also know that when the book fair comes to town, I'm opening up my wallet and buying some new ones.  I love all of my books.  But, there's nothing more satisfying than opening up the front cover to a brand new book.  Forget new car smell - I'll take new book smell any day of the week.

In fact, this summer, I plan on bringing home some of my new books and reading them.  I won't put books in to my library that I haven't read, or have at least gotten approval from another teacher that's read them.  The new books I bought at the book fair last week are BRAND new books...published this year...so I have some reading to get done.

3.  My hour of peace and quiet first thing each morning.

Every morning, for at least the last three years, I have set my alarm clock at least an hour before I have to get up... simply so I can enjoy an hour of utter peace and quiet before the busy of the day commences.  I get up, feed the cats, pour a cup of coffee, and then sit down at my computer to write my blog.  This is one of my most happy moments of the day... because it's just me and my thoughts.  I can get out any worries, frustrations, or nerves I have about anything and everything so that I'm ready and prepared to start my day.  I have had a couple of occasions where I've hit the snooze button one too many times, or I've forgotten to set my alarm altogether - and that took away my hour.  Taking away my morning time has proved to be quite a jolt to my system, and does nothing but make me cranky, unprepared, and frazzled all day long.  People often think I'm nuts by getting up at 4:30 or 5 each morning... but they would think twice about saying that after spending a day with me if I didn't get that time.  HA!

4.  My 4th Grade Partners in Crime.

I'm a firm believer in the phrase "everything happens for a reason".  I'm sure if you did a phrase check through my blog, you'd see that phrase used more than just about anything else that's ever been written on here.  And getting my job working with the two other 4th grade teachers I work with is probably one of the biggest modes of proof I have to go with that phrase.

I love the school I work in.  I love all of the students.  I love the administrators.  But, really the love and commitment I show to each of these come from working with the two other 4th grade teachers.  They are my Ying and Yang of teaching.  Every ounce of frustration or doubt or worry that I've had throughout this year of teaching has evaporated in to thin air after spending just a little time letting it out to them.  We laugh, we vent, we celebrate - together.  We are in our own little world at the end of our hallway.

I have ever so lovingly named them my teaching "Mommy and Daddy".  No matter what my issue or question, I can go to both and get two completely valid but completely different courses of action.  On one side I have the loving, nurturing, "just let it go" words of wisdom (Mommy).  On the other I have the tell it like it is, no bull, "let's do something about it" words of wisdom (Daddy).  And I am the product of mixing both of them together... hence why they are referred to as my "Mommy and Daddy".  I am the child of having both sides fused in to my system.  There hasn't been a single day since I started working in my school that I haven't turned to them both...and they have become like family to me.  They put a smile on my face each and every day.

5.  Candy Crush.

The creators of this super addicting, drive me nuts game found a way to put a smile on my face each and every day with the awesomeness that is Candy Crush.  I have played a lot of games in my life, and have gotten bored with all of them.  Except this one.  I have played this game for months, now, and have achieved the level of 162.  While I often curse the fact that I only get 5 lives every couple of hours to play, I realized that this is the genius part of it.  I can only play for a short time, I finish wanting more, and look forward to the time when I have more lives to play.  If it wasn't like that, I'd be locked up in a room somewhere about 50lbs lighter, much smellier from the lack of bathing, and would have lost my job from being a no-show.  Yes, it's that addicting.

It's nice to have a game that takes only a few minutes to play, challenges my patience, and keeps me occupied without getting bored of the same ol' same ol'.  The levels increase in difficulty, offer different types of challenges, and is just plain, old fashion fun.  Totally puts a smile on my face.

And that is the list of the five things that make me happy...right now.  This time next year, the list may be different... heck, this time next month the list could be different.  But, it was fun to think about this stuff today.

Now, I have lesson plans and stuff to do....

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what's on your mind - I love to hear from you!