Saturday, April 27, 2013

Day 23: And My Hobbies Are....


Hobby:  Noun.  An activity done regularly in one's free time for fun.

My Hobbies:  Nouns.  Anything done for fun - even once -  on the slight occasion I get free time.

Yeah, that about sums it up.  Today, I'm supposed to share with you some of my favorite hobbies and why they are my hobbies.  Well, when a hobby is defined as something done regularly during free time... that kinda limits me.  I don't get that much free time.  Not enough to do something enjoyable regularly.

But, I do have a few activities that keep me entertained during those down times when I'm able to sit and relax for a while....

In fact, after all that, I do have one hobby that I do regularly.  Every day in fact.  Sometimes a couple times a day on the weekends.  And that's write.  Duh!

Writing is probably my one and only hobby that is done faithfully - and something I'm still enjoying after years and years of doing it.  I get bored easily.  I lose interest pretty fast.  I take something up thinking I'll enjoy it - and then it gets lost in my lack of time to follow through or my lack of motivation to follow through.  Urm... kinda why I'm still fat after all these years of wanting to lose weight.  HA!

But, here I am, after three years of sitting down at my computer almost every single day writing in my blog.  It's kinda graduated from hobby to habit - but it's something I enjoy doing very much.  In fact, just yesterday, I realized that I've been wanting to write about some stuff that's going on in my life - and have been putting it off with this 30 days of blogging topics thing when the whole time I could have been writing about it in my "secret blog".  Yeah, I have one of those.  Something that's completely private and not available to anyone but me.  I haven't written in it for some time, because I sorta merged this blog with telling the entire world what's going on in my life.  So, today, I'm going to dust off that blog too and get a couple of entries posted there about other stuff I want to write about but can't yet.

The reason I love blogging so much is very simple - I enjoy writing.  That's it.  No other reason except I love to just share how I'm feeling, stuff that's going on in my life, and just general thoughts I have on an array of topics.  Blog writing isn't the only type of writing I do.  I also write poetry, on occasions.  Haven't written any in a while - but when the feeling comes to me, I'm able to put together a pretty cool verse or two.

When it comes to other hobbies, they are more seasonal.

During the winter, I enjoy crocheting.  I only ever crochet in the winter.  I think it has to do with messing with yarn...not really enjoyable when it's 100 degrees outside.  There's just something about curling up on the couch with my crocheting, a blanket, and knowing it's freezing cold outside that makes it enjoyable to me.  I taught myself how to crochet several years ago, and each year find a different thing to focus on.  I've made afghans, scarves, headbands, hats, blankets, ponchos, gloves, and slippers.  I even knocked out my first purse this past winter.  Although it's still in pieces because I haven't sewn it together.  I hate sewing.  That takes the fun out of the crocheting.  I tend to focus on stuff that can be made with as little amount of sewing as possible.

During the summer, I enjoy reading.  Just laying out in the sun or in the air conditioning if it's too hot outside.  It's the one time of year I don't have to worry about work, and actually get some free time...kinda.  Last year was my first summer off, and I spent the first month babysitting for my parents and the rest of the summer getting stuff ready for my classroom.  This summer will be the first year I actually can dig out some books and just enjoy reading them.  Other summers, I've just read on the weekends when I'm at my parent's house or in my own house.

I also enjoy fishing.  But don't get to do that near enough to technically be classed as a hobby.  In the past couple of years, I can count how many times I've been fishing on one hand.  And that would be the three camping trips I've taken.  Fishing is yet another hobby I enjoy because it's peaceful.  I can throw out my line and just take in the scenery and the water until something bobs my line and gets me all excited...only to feel the let down of it being a twig or a turtle.  But, it's OK...it's more about the hunt than the actual catch.

My plan is that over this summer, I can try a few new things and see if I can build my hobby repertoire.  Maybe some gardening.  Or get back to jogging.  Possibly take a few art classes - just because I'd love to see if I could ever learn how to paint something.

My hobby bucket is kinda on the empty side - not by choice.  I love trying new stuff, but like I said I get bored pretty easily.  It has to be something that really grabs my attention for me to follow through and continue doing it.

I used to really love and enjoy my early morning running.  It wasn't about the exercise, but more of the meditative calmness it gave me.  Putting my music in my ears and blocking out the world around me.  It completely rejuvenated and recharged me.  Yes, I really must start doing that again.  It gave me so much relief when I was going through my job hunt turmoil - and once I found my job, I kinda gave up on it.  That was silly of me.  I don't have to be depressed and stressed to enjoy running, I must keep telling myself that.

At the end of the day, I love lots of activities.  Do I get enough time to focus on them and make them a regular activity?  Not really.  But, that doesn't mean I can't count them as a hobby.  I'm a person with lots of interests.  Not a lot of spare time.  Couple those things together and you have a person that tries new things, has a lot of fun when she can, and just enjoys various experiences.  That's me.  And I'm totally OK with that.


Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what's on your mind - I love to hear from you!