Monday, August 05, 2013

Weekend Recap

One might assume that because I didn't post something yesterday, I was off on great adventures that left me too busy to get on here and share.

That would be a wrong assumption.

I didn't write yesterday because of the complete opposite... because I had absolutely nothing going on.  Well, I'll take that back... I didn't write yesterday because I woke up to find that P-Momma was here, and once I finished visiting with her... I didn't feel like writing because then I didn't really have anything to write about.

I guess that's only to be expected a mere week from starting back to work "officially" and having been off for a little over two months.  I run out of ways to say "not much going on today, but...".  

Saturday, Hubby, Jelly, and I went out and did a little grocery shopping.  Which was the stupidest thing to do.  It was Tax Free Weekend around here, and the stores were CR-A-ZY!  Jam packed with shoppers hunting for their back to school supplies, clothes, and dorm room accessories.

I wouldn't mind the busy shopping scenario so much if crazy shopping days didn't turn people in to crazy, dangerous drivers.  The amount of times I held my breath or let out a small gasp of horror from people not watching where they were going and driving right for us was unbelievable. 

And it made Hubby cranky.  Really cranky.

He doesn't do well in crowded situations like that...and I don't either, but not near as bad as Hubby.  He gets angry, frustrated, and is ready to get the heck out of dodge before we even find a parking spot.  Which Dodge is an appropriate name, because that's pretty much what we spent our afternoon doing.

We decided to just get in, out, and back to the car as fast as possible.  

Needless to say, our shopping trip didn't last very long, and we were back home enjoying the quiet of our house before you could say "Thank Goodness".  

That's why I always do my back to school shopping early.  For the same reason I do my Christmas shopping early.  Because I'd rather shell out a couple of extra bucks for taxes than spend my time getting elbowed, having carts rammed in to my legs, or sifting through the remains of what's left behind after early shopper attacks.  As much as I don't want to think about back to school shopping at  the beginning of July, I get it done... because I can do it in peace and quiet and find everything I need.  Because no one else is thinking about it.  The same reason I won't partake in Black Friday.  The money I save is nothing compared to the sanity I save, or the risk of injury.

Yesterday morning, P-Momma came over.  It was pouring down rain when I woke up.  She had come over to bring Peanut's new bed.  

In our old house, Peanut had a full sized bed.  She decided when we moved that she wanted a twin... so Hubby and I bought her a twin.  Even though I told her she'd regret the decision being that she has the biggest bedroom in the house, and more than enough room to house a full sized bed.

Well, it took all of two months for her to regret her decision...and receive a big "I told you so" from me. I wasn't going to rush out and buy her a new full sized bed and mattress, but thankfully Peanut has an awesome P-Momma that helped her out.  P-Momma bought a new bed for her granddaughter, so Peanut was able to get the not-really-old-at-all full sized bed from P-Momma's house.  

Anywho, P-Momma and I sat on the patio while the rain poured down chit-chatting and catching up on what's been going on since the last time we saw each other.  I always love visiting with her.  But, being that I usually sit out on the patio and write my blog first thing in the morning... I traded that for some catch-up time with P-Momma.  It was very much worth it.

Once P-Momma left, I got to work on cleaning the house.  It was overdue for some sprucing...so I spruced.  Then, I just sat down in front of the TV until it was time to go and meet my mom so that I could pick up Peanut and Butter...who've been staying with my parents since Friday.

This will be the first full week of summer that I've had all three kids home.  It's funny being that it's also the last full week of summer break.  I mean, they've been off for almost 3 months, and they are just now home for the first time...all together.  If Peanut or Butter even think of mentioning how bored they are this week, they may get a swift kick up the butt.  They've done more and been gone more this summer than they have in the last three summers combined.  OK, so not much of it was with me... but who am I to prevent them from doing what they wanted to do?  If their idea of summer fun was spending all of their time with friends, at my parent's house, or at P-Momma's house...then, good for them.  That's all I wanted.  For them to enjoy their summer.

This morning I woke up to.. surprise, surprise...more rain.  It's pouring down, once again.  

I'm seriously starting to think that Mother Nature is having a visit from Aunt Flo.  Her normal, sunny, hotter than Hades self just hasn't been around much these past couple of weeks.  It's been a lot of rain.  And more rain.  And then a little more rain.  

When I drive around in August and see flooding and water and green grass and flowers and people burning brush piles pretty much as far as the eye can see, it just doesn't feel right.

Maybe I'm wrong.  Maybe Mother Nature is happy and this is her way of celebrating.  Keeping the spring like scenery around well in to the summer months.  While I'm used to seeing brown grass, shriveled up flowers, and Burn Ban signs as far as the eye can see....I have to admit, it's been kinda nice to have this change.

Of course, the heat after the rain is no fun.  It's so freakin' humid.  But, I can't have it all.  

Today, I'm going to work.  

Hubby went back to work last night for the first time in two months.  He was on a voluntary lay-off for the past two months... voluntary, meaning that the company volunteers him to take it with the understanding that it's only temporary and his job will be waiting for him when it's time to come back.  Money has been pretty tight because he had to draw unemployment during that time, but it's also been nice having him around more.

Of course, we're both to that stage where we're getting bored and ready to get back to doing what we do:  Work.  

While I definitely won't complain about the amount of time I get off during the summer, I will say that I know when enough is enough and I'm ready to get back to the grind.  And that time is upon me.  I wake up, now, ready to get in to my classroom and get this year started with.

Plus, going back to work with give me better material to write about.  I mean, I just can't keep doing these daily recaps of nothing but the weather, and sitting around, and cleaning.  Geez.  What a snooze fest.

But, I know that over the next couple of weeks that will be changing.  I'll be "officially" back to work, back in my classroom, teaching.  And where there's teaching, there's always good stories to write about.

Right now, though, I should go get ready so that I can get to work and get my classroom ready.  Or the stories I'll be telling will be all about how I started the school year off burying my new kids in junk that's piled around my classroom.

Have a great Monday!

Jo


No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what's on your mind - I love to hear from you!