Saturday, October 26, 2013

Can I Get a Fall Break Do Over, Please?

I simply can NOT believe it's Saturday.  I mean, I've had two days off work, and now it's the weekend.  Yet it doesn't feel that way.  I don't have anything to show for having two extra days off.  My house isn't clean.  My work isn't done.  Laundry is still piled in the hamper.  

What the heck happened to those two extra days?

I thought the whole point of getting a couple extra days off was to get caught up on stuff like that.  Having more time to do everything that needs to be done, without having to feel so stressed about getting it done...because there's MORE TIME.  

Psh.  That's a load of horse poop.  

Apparently, getting a couple extra days off just means spending two days thinking about all the stuff that needs to be done, and the extra time to do it....and not actually doing it.  Because here I am, Saturday morning, and the To-Do list really hasn't gotten any shorter.

OK, I was able to jot down a couple week's worth of reading lesson plans yesterday.  

I had already decided ahead of time that yesterday would be the day I knocked out all of my school work.  And I spent maybe an hour doing my reading plans for two weeks.  Hardly anything to brag about.  Especially since my team had already decided the content we'd be covering for those two weeks.  All I had to do was plug in the activities we'd be doing.  Not exactly brain power needed for that.  

The rest of the time was spent playing around with Bitstrips, and goofing off.  Yeah, procrastinator right here.  Of the worst kind.    Darn new phone apps that get me all excited and completely take my focus off what I should be doing.

Thankfully, I was able to get away from all of the not doing any work yesterday afternoon when I took Peanut and some friends to the last varsity football game of the season.

Before the game, we met up with Peanut's friend and her mom for dinner.  It was really nice to sit and chat with another parent...especially one I have so much in common with.  It was the first time we had really gotten to talk...other than text messages or occasional fleeting hellos and goodbyes.  We shared some stories, and realized that we actually have a lot more in common than I thought we did.  We have the personality - we already knew that - but even our interests, likes, dislikes, etc. are all the same.  Very weird and very awesome all rolled in to one.  

After dinner, we headed on over to the game, and spent the evening chatting and letting the kids go off and spend some time with their friends.  It was FREEZING, but despite the cold it was one of the best evenings I've had in a long time.  It's been so long since I socialized with anyone other than Peanut and her friends.  I had started to feel like a full time chauffeur for the local teens, so it was extremely nice to be able to spend the evening talking to another adult.

Her daughter decided to come home with Peanut last night, so once we got home they went to Peanut's room and I went straight to bed.

This morning, realization hit that I really need to spend the day getting all of my work done.  No more goofing off.  No more creating hilarious comic strips just to tell the world that I'm avoiding what I should be doing.  It's go time...and if I want to have any hope of getting everything checked off my to-do list, it has to be today.  I just can't roll back in to work on Monday and have any excuses as to why all of my stuff wasn't taken care of.

And that goes for the housework, too.  For far too long, I've been neglecting my motherly house duties.. and I have said for the past couple of weeks that I'd get a handle on it come fall break.  Well, now fall break is half over, and I've yet to lift a finger on cleaning this house.

Shame, shame.

What a hypocrite I am for stressing to my kids the importance of time management and responsibility when I spend half of my time thinking about all the stuff that needs to be done, yet finding something else to occupy my time.

Which, I suppose, also includes writing this blog.  Another attempt at putting off the inevitable for a few more minutes.

I guess I need to suck it up and take care of what needs to be taken care of.  I know I'll feel much better when it's all done.  I just have to get the motivation up to get started....

One...Two...Three...

GO!!   

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what's on your mind - I love to hear from you!