Monday, October 21, 2013

Not Sure if I Should Feel Thankful or Totally Panicked

You know that old saying "Be careful what you wish for"?  

Well, I'm feeling the side effects from it.  And I'm not sure whether to feel grateful that I finally got what I wished for, or totally panicked and stressed about it.

You see, yesterday morning I woke up not feeling so great.  My stomach didn't feel so good...but I didn't pay it much attention.  I had a lot of stuff planned to do, yesterday, so a icky stomach was the least of my worries.

I had grocery shopping to do, grading, lesson planning, and preparations for parent teacher conferences that are happening tonight and tomorrow evenings.  I was supposed to have done grocery shopping the day before, but I rescheduled that so that I could take the kids to visit P-Momma.  No biggie...that's why there are two days on the weekends, so that one of them I can spend doing something I want to do rather than stuff I have to do.

Well, I finished up my blog, stood up to go get some stuff started, and felt like I was going to fall down. I was all queasy feeling.  Like if I didn't sit down immediately, I was going to face plant.  When I did sit down, I got the hugest urge to throw up.


I didn't throw up, but I decided that if I lie down for a little while, maybe whatever that was messing with me would pass.

This past week, both Jelly and Butter had a 24 hour stomach bug.  When I got home from P-Momma's house on Saturday, Hubby informed me that he'd spent most of the afternoon throwing up. Apparently, what had plagued everyone else was now giving me my turn.

I went in to my room to lay down for a while around 10AM...and that while turned in to 4 hours!  When I woke up, it was after 2PM.  Unfortunately, when I woke up I wasn't feeling any better and finally threw up.  TMI?  Sorry.  

Anywho, I stayed in bed for a while longer...till almost 3PM.

When I did get up, Hubby and I realized that there was no way I was going to be able to go grocery shopping.  So, I sent Hubby to take care of it, and I took my rear end right back to bed.

And again, I slept.  Till around 5:30PM.

When I got up, I was still very weak feeling.  I threw up once again, and decided to try and sit and watch some TV for a little while.  To make matters worse, Hubby was making brownies for my kiddos - that I've been promising them for a couple of weeks.  I had mentioned something about it to him, and he decided he better go ahead and make them or they wouldn't get make for another week.

The smell, which usually makes me hungry, just made me want to lock myself up in the bathroom within safe distance of my porcelain refuge.  I decided to take a shower to see if that would help make me feel better, but it didn't.

After taking a shower, panic started to set in.  I hadn't done a lick of work, and the stack of papers that needed to be graded were sitting on my desk taunting me.  I started thinking about everything I had to prepare for conferences...and worrying if I'd have enough time to take care of any of it at school.  What if I didn't?  What if I went back to school and nothing got taken care of?  What if parents showed up and I wasn't ready for them?

All of the worrying made my stomach start knotting up, once again, and it was back to the bathroom with me for my last upchuck of the day.  

It was at that point that I decided to heck with it, I was going back to bed, and I'd worry about it when I made it in to school the next morning.

And that's what I did.  I was back in bed by 8PM and slept until 4:15 this morning.  

I'm feeling much better.  No more sick feeling or weakness.  Whatever I had has passed, but the stack of work that needed to get done this weekend didn't get touched.  Any other time, I wouldn't worry about it a bit and just get it finished after school today.  But, my first parent shows up at 4PM.  

Somehow, today, I have to get in all the grades that haven't been entered, print out progress reports, make up conference check lists for each of my kids, and prepare each individual student folder...on top of teaching.  


And you know, teachers have so much free time during the day to get stuff like that done.  

I don't even want to think about the fact that I also have to clean my room, and file a ton of work in to student folders so that there's stuff to show parents when they come.  

This is why procrastination never pays off!

So, for weeks, I've been wishing that I could have one day to spend in bed.  A day full of sleeping and resting.  Well, I got what I wished for, yet it couldn't have come at a worse time.  

It's not as though I can ask parents to forgive me for not being prepared because I was sick.  They won't care.  They want to hear about their child's progress, see their grades, hear about and see samples of what they've been doing.  

But, I will get it done.  I have to.  I will arrive at school this morning and spend my time entering in the grades that need to be entered.  I will start working on the checklists.  I will get everything printed out.  Then, during my plan time, I will prepare all of the student folders. 

I will assign work throughout the day that the kids can work on while I'm working.  As much as I hate putting them to work without constantly monitoring and helping.  I do what I gotta do.  

Besides, they have brownies to enjoy this afternoon, so I know they'll be extra well behaved for me today.  When I explain to them how much I have to get done, they may even be willing to help out.  I don't see why they can't help me prepare their folders for their parents.  

One thing I definitely can't complain about today is being tired.  I am fully rested and ready for the day ahead.  I slept 90% of the day, yesterday, and all night.  If that didn't get me rested up, nothing will.  

I know that I work well under pressure, and I'm definitely going to be feeling that pressure today.  I just pray to all things holy that I can pull it off.  I've had to do stuff like this before - prepare at the last minute.  

I just have to hope that Karma is on my side today, and stuff like the copier breaking down, or something coming up during my plan time doesn't happen.  

Oh well, only one way to find out.  And what I can do is take this 45 minutes I have before it's time to get ready grading.

Here I go....


No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what's on your mind - I love to hear from you!