Friday, October 11, 2013

Ready to Be Back in My Room

I'm so tired.  So, so tired.  Tired enough that I didn't get out of bed until 5:10 this morning... meaning I hit the snooze button a total of 4 times.

About 3 more than I usually do.

It's not surprising.  I mean, I didn't get home and in bed until almost 1AM on Wednesday night...or Thursday morning..however you want to look at it.  I got up at 5AM and went to work, yesterday.  Didn't get home until 9:30 last night thanks to a volleyball and football game (Peanut's friend's game).  

Tonight, I am taking Peanut to watch a college volleyball game.  It's arranged for the entire volleyball team to go, and it just happens to be at my alma mater.  The University of Arkansas.  It'll be nice to see the volleyball Lady Razorbacks in action, but I know it's going to be a very tough drive home.  I'll be so tired, I will undoubtably pass out the minute I step through the front door...and who knows when I'll wake up tomorrow.

Yesterday, I had to attend a day long training on common core math.  I figured it would be yet another day of learning what common core is, what the standards are, and the changes that will be put in to place once we make the complete conversion next year.  It started out that way, but in the end the focus was on strategies, tools, and lessons that could be applied to the classroom.  Those types of trainings I actually enjoy.  I like to walk away with new ideas and stuff for my tool bag to implement in the classroom.  

I was able to text my mom a few times throughout the day, yesterday, to check in on Butter.  He was in a lot of pain, but was able to rest with some pain medicine.  I finally spoke to him last night, and I felt sad knowing that he was in so much pain...and I wasn't there to comfort him.  He was in good spirits, though, and was enjoying his time being doted over by Grandma.  

My brother has also been a great help.  He's been acting as Butter's nurse, helping him dress and undress, clean up, and stuff like that.  It means a lot to me that my mom has some help, and that my brother is willing to step up and help out.  Which doesn't surprise me at all.  He really adores Butter, and I knew he was pretty upset by the whole situation of Butter hurting himself.  

When I got back to the school after the training, I was able to see the substitute on her way out..and she told me that the kids had been awesome.  They had worked hard, behaved well, and she had enjoyed her day working with them.  That always makes me feel good.  Knowing that when I'm not there, my kids are able to behave and represent me in a positive way.

I spent a little time going through some of the stacks of papers on my desk, and then it was time to head out to Peanut's volleyball game.  The game was pretty good, but they lost.  Again.  The last game of the season. I just have to make it through a tournament on Monday, and that's it. Volleyball season is over.  I am relieved.  As much as I love watching Peanut play volleyball, I'm also very excited by the fact that starting next week, I'll be able to come home much earlier.  No more waiting around until 5:30 or 6PM for practice to be over, no more driving here there and everywhere for games.  Of course, I still have Butter's games to attend...even if he can't actually play in them.  It means a lot to Butter to be on the sidelines supporting his team, and so I'll make the drive to the two remaining destinations in order for him to do that.  I just hope we are able to get Butter in for his hard cast before we do that on Tuesday... cause I'm not sure I'll be OK with him riding the bus without the proper support he needs on his arm.

Anywho, after the volleyball game, I took Peanut to watch her friend play football.  I had another one of her friends with me, and they met up with more friends once we got there.  They all sat with me, and we had a good time laughing and watching and sharing stuff that had been going on with their day.

After the game, I was able to speak to the player that tackled Butter, resulting in the broken wrist.  My intent was to tease him a little... but I couldn't do it when I saw the look on his face when he realized who was standing next to him.  The player just happened to be one of my kiddos from summer school.  He doesn't go to our school, but visited summer school from another school in the county.  He's usually one of those kids that thinks he's too cool for anything, and makes it appear that nothing bothers him.  Our first meeting, he'd acted like a real toot...until he realized I wasn't a teacher that was going to put up with his shenanigans.  In the end, we had a very good time at summer school.  He started to show some respect for me, and being that football is his passion, was ecstatic when I started having the kids play frisbee football.  We've seen each other a few times since, at games and such, and he's always greeted me respectfully... to the shock of people around him.

Last night, when I expected him to brush off the accident as no big deal, I figured I'd mess with him a little...make him stew a little.  But, I couldn't do it.  When he looked at me, his eyes immediately fell to the ground and I saw genuine sadness and concern on his face.  It melted my heart.  I couldn't tease him or give him a hard time.  He asked me how Butter was doing.  I told him that Butter was hurting a little, but OK.  All I could say after that was that neither Butter nor I were mad at him.  We knew it was an accident, and there was no hard feelings for what had happened.  The look of relief and appreciation that crossed his face made me feel good.  It goes to show how a little gesture can have a big effect.

Today, I'm ready to get back in to my classroom and end the week on a high note.  My kids have more tests today, and they've all promised me that they will - once again - pass them.  I am staying optimistic, but with me not being there yesterday to help them study... I'm not holding my breath.  It will be awesome if they are all able to pass their tests again, but being that they were so well behaved for the sub yesterday - they'll still get their extra recess time.

OK, it's that time once again.  For me to head in and get ready for work.

T.G.I.F.  Right?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what's on your mind - I love to hear from you!