Monday, March 16, 2015

Quality versus Quantity

                                     

It's Monday, and if it hadn't of been for all the snow we got, I'd be off work today.  But, I'm not because we have to make up all the snow days.  I did get to be off Friday, though, so I can't complain too much.  I had a great three day weekend, though, and got to spend it with the people I love.  

Friday I got to go with a friend and see some family, and I love spending time with them.  They may not be blood family, but they're family in my eyes.  They have always treated me like I'm part of the family, and I am a strong believer in the fact that you can never have too much family.  And right now, I need all the support I can get from people that care about me.  We spent most of the day chatting, and it was a good time.  Friday night, I spent the night with my friend and we sat up all night watching movies and talking.  It was such a great night, and it felt so great to just relax and have a good time.  My friend and I have both being going through some stuff, so it was nice to be there for each other.  For one night, we got to forget all of our troubles and act like a couple of teenagers at a slumber party.  

Saturday, my friend came home with me, and we spent the day at home with Peanut and Jelly.  Butter was at my parent's house for the weekend, so I missed him, but it was nice to spend some time with the girls.  I watched the girls and my friend play some video games, and we sat and watched a couple of movies.  It was so nice to kick back, snuggle up on the couch, and enjoy the time together.  When we're at home, Peanut hardly ever comes out of her room, so it was really nice for her to be out in the living room with us and enjoying some family time.  Family time is important to her, but with everything that's been going on, she's had a hard time feeling that.  This weekend, I felt like she felt comfortable for the first time in a while, and that made me very happy.  I know it had everything to do with who was here and who wasn't here.  She's felt the tension that's been at the house, and she doesn't like it.  But, Saturday, that tension was gone and she felt comfortable in her home.  She even fell asleep in the living room, which is something she hasn't done since we first moved in.  

Sunday, we relaxed at home for a while.  The weather was beautiful, so I spent a good majority of the morning and early afternoon sitting outside while Jelly skated or rode her bike in the yard.  Around 3PM, I took my friend home and then came home and was back outside for a while.  Peanut even came outside and played in the yard.  Again, something she hasn't done in a long time.  We stayed outside until it was time to eat dinner, and then we settled in for the night watching some TV.

This whole weekend made me really realize how important it is to spend time with the people that we love.  In the digital age where everything is about text messages and social media, I realized that I'll take physical interaction over digital interaction anytime.  I might not get a text message back from my friend for a while during the week, but when I think about the time we get to spend together I can't really complain.  We're always there for each other when we need each other, and that's what's important.  Knowing that means a lot more to me than whether or not I get a text message.  

The same can be said for phone calls.  I used to hate talking on the phone after text messages became popular.  But, here lately, it's been really nice to get a phone call from friends or family when they want to talk.  It's really nice when I get a phone call just to see how I'm doing or how my day is going.  It's nice to hear someone's voice rather than read what they have to say on a screen.  Text messages are nice, when I'm at work or in a situation where I can't talk, but I've decided I'll take quality interaction versus quantity interaction any day.  A day with someone I care about trumps receiving any amount of digital messages.  

This really goes hand in hand with the whole actions versus words situation.  I know I've been that person that got a little bent out of shape when I send a text message and don't receive an answer back for a while.  But, then when I think about the fact that a friend is willing to drop their plans to spend some time with me so we can hang out, that's a big deal.  That's an action that means a lot to me.  I hadn't made plans to spend the weekend hanging out with my friend, but we were both willing to drop whatever we had going on to be there for each other.  And it was fun.  I needed it.  We both needed it.  During the week, it's hard to do much because I'm working, so it's always nice to know that when I do get some free time, I can spend it with people I care about and that care for me.  

I feel pretty good this morning, and I know it's because I had a restful, fun weekend.  Things are starting to feel a little easier.  Even though I know there's dark days still in store for me, it's nice to have some sunshine in the midst of it all.  And the people that are there to bring that sunshine speaks volumes.  

And right now, it's time for me to get ready for work and begin my week.

Have a great day, everyone!!
Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what's on your mind - I love to hear from you!