Saturday, March 07, 2015

Sometimes You Just Gotta Sing

I had to be up at 5:15 this morning so that I could take Peanut to school for a debate competition.  During the drive there, she read me her debate speech and discussed all things debate with me.  I love hearing her talk about something she's so passionate about, but at 6AM it can be a little overwhelming.  My head was swirling at 100MPH after I dropped her off, so I was in much need of some music to help clear my mind.

I have a playlist on my phone, and it never ceases to amaze me how songs play in the perfect order.  What I mean by that is I hit the Shuffle button and it's as though my phone is reading my mind and plays the songs that I love to hear.  I was in the mood for the types of songs that I could belt out at the top of my lungs, had a good beat, and would help wake me up.  I got exactly that.  

Music is a very powerful therapy for me.  I have specific songs for specific purposes.  There are songs that can make me laugh out loud, songs that make me burst in to tears, and songs that make me start belting out the words as loud as I can.  I was in for some singing this morning, and that's exactly what I got.

Now, I can sing.  When I'm not scared to death or in front of anyone, I can carry a tune pretty darn well.  But that's not what I wanted to do this morning.  I wanted to BELT without worrying about being in tune, trying to match a pitch, or reaching for the perfect notes.  There was no one else in the car, so I let my lungs fill with air and screamed each lyric.  Hard, powerful lyrics that cleanse my soul and recharge my batteries.  I'm sure that any cars passing me by could have possibly thought there was something wrong with me, because I was dancing just as much as I was singing.

And now I feel so good.  Like really good.  Charged, motivated, empowered.  

It's amazing how a few songs selected by my very SmartPhone can have such an affect on me.  It's like I can take this day by the horns, and ride it out to its fullest potential.  No matter where I go or what I do today, it's going to be a good day.  

With each hour that passes by, I can feel the strength ignite in me.  This morning I got a much needed double dose.  There are lots of things that can motivate me and lift my spirits.  And it's almost weird how they are always delivered to me at the exact right moments.

Take yesterday, for example.  I'm standing out on the street performing my crosswalk duty and my mind was wandering off.  I was thinking about someone and not sure how I was feeling about it.  Then, bam, out of nowhere my phone goes off.  It's a text message from that person.  A text message that brought a smile to my face and warmed my heart.  I was being thought of at that exact same moment. Coincidence?  Maybe.  Cosmically weird?  Very.

And that happened several times throughout the day.  The minute my mind would start to wander.. there was a text message.  Not conversation type messages, just little messages here and there asking about my day, little pieces of random information, all from the same person at the exact time I needed to hear from them.

It actually happened all day long, and well in to the middle of the night, actually.  A couple of hours would go by and then my phone would give off that text message melody.  Each time I checked my phone, I was pleasantly surprised by the messages as they came.  

It's a very powerful sentiment to know that you're being thought about.  Maybe I'm just a fleeting moment, but I'll take it.  It's amazing how a quick few seconds of pushing some words in to a phone can speak in such great volumes.  

Today, I'm going to go see some friends.  I'm excited to see them as it has been a couple of weeks since I last saw them.  I always love spending time with them, and they make me feel like part of the family.  That's exactly what I need today.  It's going to be a beautiful day, and not one where I'm willing to sit in the house and do nothing.  I'm gonna get out there and have some fun.

Which means I better get myself around so I don't waste another minute of enjoying today.

Have an awesome Saturday, everyone!


Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what's on your mind - I love to hear from you!