Friday, January 06, 2012

Ready for the Weekend

Dear Diary...

Despite coming back from two weeks off of work, I'm surprised how quickly this week has gone by.  Usually, everyone is so tired from adjusting to having to get up early and work all day that the week drags on.  While I have been tired from the adjustment, the week has gone by extremely fast.

I weighed in for Biggest Loser yesterday.  Before going to work, I made sure I drank plenty of coffee and I ate my breakfast before weighing in.  Even if the weight loss from my first week is just the difference between the coffee/food I drank yesterday, I'll still feel encouraged if I see a loss...and that success will give me hope that it will continue.  Yes, it's a warped way of looking at it.  Again, call it cheating if you will, but I don't see anything wrong with being a little lax with my first weigh in.  Despite drinking about half a pot of coffee and eating my breakfast before weighing in, I still had a starting weight of 239.5.  I know that's 0.3lbs lighter than what I started the year, but I kind of expected more than that.  I haven't weighed in this week at home, because I'm waiting until next Wednesday. I'll be curious to see how my first week and a half since the first weigh in goes.

Now that the competition has officially started, it means I really have to start moving my behind if I have any hope of winning.  While I don't want to get consumed in the competition, I do have my eyes on the prize.  Having that extra money to put in to my Reward Jar will be great.  Clothes aren't cheap, and if I want a completely brand new wardrobe, every penny will count.

This weekend is going to be about planning and making the most of the free time I have.  I'm going to plan all of my meals out for the week.  I do so much better when I know exactly what I'm going to eat for breakfast and lunch each day.  It helps me avoid the frustration that comes from deciding what to eat, and opting for the quickest (and worst for me) option. Hubby takes care of the dinner part.  Well, Hubby and I collaborate on the dinner part - he just does the cooking.  He's great at coming up with healthy options for dinner....he's already mentioned putting salmon back in to our line up.  Something that has been missing for many months, now.

I noticed that one of my co workers was eating a bag of steamed veggies for lunch, yesterday.  At first I thought that had to be pretty boring, but when I got to think about it - it's genius.  A full bag of steamed veggies has around 100-150 calories depending on the veg.  Sometimes, even less than that.  While I'm not counting calories, I'm still being mindful with checking food labels - that's something I've always done.  I know what to look for, and I know the rough amount of calories I try to shoot for with each meal.  I had a Lean Gourmet meal. It was a tiny piece of lasagna that held 280 calories.  While it was low in fat and had a good balance of carbs and protein, it was a tiny serving.  I mean, really tiny.  I had like 4 bites and I was done.  I will say that it tasted good, but satisfying?  Definitely not.  I could trade in my tiny serving frozen meals for a bag of steamed veggies every day and have way less calories, food that fills me up, and get in the veggies that I tend to miss out on.  Win, win, win.  There are also a bunch of options I could include to help with the protein.  Taking some lean ham or a boiled egg or something like that with me each day would help give me a protein boost - and still keep the calories down below 300...which is what I shoot for with my lunch (despite not counting calories).

So, as I'm planning this weekend and then going grocery shopping, I'm going to look at the options I have with eating steamed veggies a few days a week.  I probably won't do it every day, but I see me doing something like that at least 3 times a week.

This weekend, I also plan on going out for a couple of runs/walks.  While I promised myself that I don't want to make plans for my working out, I also realize that I have to make the most of any free time I get.  I did set myself a goal of working out at least three times a week in order to get my bonus for my Reward Jar.  I won't be making any excuses about not working out this week, but I do have the opportunity to do something about it this weekend.  Even if I only get in two 30 minute walks, it's way better than nothing.  I'm definitely going to need to ease myself back in to it because it has been months and months since I've gone for a run.  With a 5K only three months away, I need to start making preparations for training.  Getting out to see how bad my stamina is, now, is the key.  It will tell me how much work I have to do to even think about running a 5K.  It took me over a year to get to the point where I could run a full 5K, I just hope I don't have to start completely over.  I think getting out and doing some speed walking with maybe a couple of quick sprints may give me the answers I need.  But if I can't do too much, that's OK, I will get back to where I was.

My toughest challenge has always been the starting when it comes to exercise.  Once I've started, I'm so glad I did.  I feel great while I'm working out, and even better once I'm done.  I just wish I had that feeling before hand.  Maybe that's something else that will come, in time.

Alright, time for me to get ready for my last day of the work week.  I know that there has been a lot of rambling these past few days, but I kind of like it.  I get all of my thoughts out, and that's a very cleansing feeling.  I hope that I will have more focus and energy with my writing once my weight loss gets some momentum, but in the mean time?  This is just how it's gonna be. 

Till next time. ;)
Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what's on your mind - I love to hear from you!