Thursday, June 06, 2013

Never Too Old to Need Mommy


                           


I'm going to the dentist today.  And, I'm not sure if I've ever shared this with any of you.... but I HATE the dentist.  Just the thought of sitting in that chair while he or she prods and pokes and scrapes and scratches gives me the heeby jeebies.

What makes it worse is that I'm going to have at least one tooth pulled today.  A wisdom tooth that probably should have been pulled a very long time ago, along with it's three siblings, but I just haven't had the nerve (or the money) to get it done.  The only reason I'm breaking down and having it done now is because it's hurting.  And one thing I hate even worse than a dentist's chair is a toothache.

Don't get me wrong, I don't mind getting my teeth cleaned or having a basic check-up, but when I know that there's going to be giant needles inserted to my gums and pliers and possibly even surgical cutting and stitches required?  Yeah.  No thanks.

Jelly loves going to the dentist.  She's weird.  She's had 3 baby root canals and a filling in her teeth, and she still loves going there.  She doesn't mind the big needles.  She doesn't mind them pulling and yanking and scratching... she laughs the whole time.  Yes, I'm aware that the "funny gas" helps with some of that... but if a 5 year old can have that much done on her teeth in a matter of a year and still want to go back every 6 months for her check-ups, I probably have a lot to learn from her.

Thankfully, I know why the dentist isn't such a scary place for her.  That's because I'm always right there next to her, holding her hand, and telling her everything is going to be OK.  She has trust in me that I would never put her in a situation that would cause her unneeded harm or hurt.  She knows I would never torture her with a dental procedure just because she's driven me nuts, and it's time for some nasty payback.  She trusts me.  She knows as long as I'm there, everything is going to be OK. I know, because she's told me that.  The last time we went, I actually asked her why she likes coming to the dentist so much, and she said it's because they are making sure her teeth are pretty... and that the dentist isn't scary because I'm there.  *Sniff*

So, I'm totally copying her idea about making the dentist a not so scary place.  I'm making my mom go with me.  I figure if there's anyone that can help me through my jitters and reassure me that everything is going to be OK, it's my mom.  That's what moms are for, right?

I've never had such a big procedure as what I'm having done today.  I've never had an adult tooth surgically removed... and that's a big possibility of what might happen.  I have a consultation this morning, they'll tell me what they can do, and a high likely I'll go back this afternoon for the surgery or extraction.. although I don't think it will be as easy as extraction.  Not with the way this wisdom tooth is located.  

Hubby could have and would have gone with me.  He's recently had a lot of dental stuff done, and he's a pro at doing stuff like that.  However, he's not exactly the most nurturing person when it comes to me acting like a total baby.  Sure, he's supportive and sympathetic if I'm not feeling good, and he tries his best to make me feel better or get me stuff if I need it... but sometimes I hold back my baby ness  because.. well, I don't want to appear like a big baby.  With my mom, on the other hand, I can act like a total baby and she'll give me the loving, nurturing support I need.

Alright, I've stalled long enough.  My mom will be here any second and I still need to do my hair before we head out.  Hopefully, by this time tomorrow, I'm feeling a lot better... and my tooth pain will be gone.  Or at least replaced with different tooth pain that tells me that the old tooth pain is gone.  HA!

Jo

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what's on your mind - I love to hear from you!