Monday, June 17, 2013

Spontaneous Family Fun Weekend

It's not very often I can wake up on a Monday morning at 5am and think "Wow, what a wonderfully fun weekend I've just had".

I've woken up before thinking that I've had a terribly busy weekend.  I've woken up thinking what a horribly boring weekend I've had.  There's been lots of weekends where I've done something fun at one point or the other over the course of the weekend.  But, it's very rare to wake up Monday morning after a completely full, fun weekend.  AND I'm not even totally exhausted!

Our family fun started Saturday when we decided to go ahead and play some miniature golf.  It may have been close to 90 degrees outside...if not hotter... but that didn't stop us from having a great time.  Everyone laughed and enjoyed the experience.  There was no whining, no crying, no getting frustrated or upset because they weren't doing so well....and I'll deny it to the end if one of my kids say otherwise about me.  Peanut missed out because she's staying with my parents, but Butter and Jelly had a blast.

Here's a couple of quick pics from the day...

I shared a pic of Hubby playing yesterday.

After the game, we did some driving around and shopping.  We went to a Wal-Mart that I hadn't been too since I was a kid, and Jelly was fascinated that there was a Wal-Mart in our area that she'd never been to.  I think it's hilarious that my child gets such a kick out of something as simple as visiting a Wal-Mart she's never been too.  We frequent five different Wal-Mart stores in our area...and it's no big deal when we go.  But, go to a Wal-Mart that she's never been to before?  The girl just gets excited!  We picked up a few new pool toys while we were there and some sidewalk chalk, and then decided to head on home.

The plan was to get home and jump in the pool...however, Mother Nature had different plans.  Not long after we'd unpacked the car, a pretty bolt of lightning shot across the sky indicating that there would be no swimming for us that night.  Jelly was pretty disappointed, because she was REALLY looking forward to trying out her new water guns, but she settled for watching a movie instead.

We watched Warm Bodies.  The new zombie movie that's actually more of a love story than anything else.  I was skeptical going in...thinking it would be stupid.  But, I was wrong.  I actually really liked it and laughed through the whole thing.  Jelly didn't make it very long before she fell asleep, and Butter found playing on the computer to be more interesting... but it was a good movie in Hubby and my opinions.

After our swimming plans got rained out for Saturday, the plan for Sunday was to enjoy an entire day poolside.  Jelly made me promise before she fell asleep Saturday night.  I did promise, with the stipulation that I couldn't help it if it was still raining or storming the next day.  She was very relieved to see the sun shining yesterday morning.

After writing my blog post about Hubby and my dad, I called my mom to see what they were up to on Father's Day.  They didn't have any plans, and my dad was going to be cooking dinner and working on building stuff around the house.  Not exactly my idea of a relaxing Father's Day.  So, without even really thinking about it, I told my mom that they should all come over and go swimming with us.

My mom isn't really a big fan of spontaneous ideas like that... but even she had to admit that it sounded a lot more fun than what they had planned.  So, after a little planning and deciding how and what I was going to feed everyone if they came over, they got ready and headed this way.

It's always a crazy experience when my parents come over...because they bring along anywhere from 3 to 5 kids with them.  Yesterday, they came with two little ones, three big ones, and of course.. my Peanut.  My parents have a new foster child, except he's not much of a child...he's 17.  I will say that entertaining a 17 year old is a whole lot easier than entertaining kids who are 5.  As long as there is a pool and a Playstation 3 around.  Oh, and another boy in the house that loves the same stuff (Butter).

As crazy as it is, though, I love every minute of it.  The loudness doesn't bother me.  The mess doesn't bother me.  Even the occasional fighting and arguing doesn't bother me.  Having all of my family over is just something I'm going to really enjoy now that we're in our new house.

It doesn't matter if I have to peel 10lbs of potatoes to feed them.  It doesn't matter if I have to use every single pot, pan, plate, and piece of silverware that I own.  It doesn't matter that if it feels more like a wave pool than a swimming pool from teenagers constantly diving off the diving board or jumping in... as long as everyone is having fun.

And our fun lasted all day and well in to the evening.  My family decided to head home around 8pm.. which was perfect timing being that the kids and I had to get up early this morning for summer school.  

My parents left, I got Jelly showered and in her jammies, I took a shower, and it was time to call it a night.  

This morning, it's storming.  I probably shouldn't be sitting outside being that I can hear thunder and see lightning off in the distance, but it's such a beautiful morning.  I can see the sun coming up over the horizon, and I just feel ready for the day sitting in this spot.

I'm not sure how the day will play out if it rains all day... but I know I'll think of something.  

What I do know is that I'm ready for the week.  Even after such a busy, fun weekend.  I want to spend my summer feeling this way...cause that's what summer break is all about, right?

OK, time for me to go get ready...


No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what's on your mind - I love to hear from you!