Friday, September 05, 2014

One Planner Just Isn't Enough

                            

Well, Fall is definitely almost here.  It's not because the weather is getting cooler, or because leaves are starting to change, or even due to the fact that football season has started.  No.  I know Fall is almost here just by looking at the pages in my calendar.  Because when it's Fall, my planner is FULL.  

In fact, it's so crazy full over the next few months, that I had to buy ANOTHER planner because one just wasn't enough.  Usually, I put all of my stuff in one planner, the same planner I use at school.  I usually color code it, one color for work stuff, another color for Peanut's stuff, and another color for Butter's stuff.  But, throw in college and the fact that Peanut is involved in show choir, debate, and a gazillion fundraisers, and my work and school stuff just doesn't have any room to go.  So, I bought a new planner that's JUST for the kids stuff.  And, I can't believe how full that already is.  I also use my phone calendar, but with all the technology problems we've been having at school this week, I've realized how important it is to have a hard copy of everything... just in case. 

Last night, I went to a show choir booster meeting.  I don't have the dates for Peanut's competitions and performances, yet, but I do have five Razorback games that I have to work over the course of the next two months. (It would be six, but one of the games happens to fall on the weekend we'll be in Tennessee, so I won't be working that one.)  She also has about twenty debate competitions between this Saturday through March.  There will be several dates for show choir competitions to add, more show choir meetings, and other fundraisers that we'll be doing.  Butter has six football games, then both Peanut and Butter will have track competitions to throw in to the mix.  Almost every Saturday between now and Christmas has something on it, let's not forget that for the next seven weeks I have class once a week and plenty of homework to do, and the seven weeks after that I'll have an online class to keep up with.

I'm getting tired just writing about all of it.  

Usually, this type of crazy busy lifestyle doesn't really bother me... but I have to admit, with so much going on, I'm a little nervous about when I'm going to have the time to work on my school stuff.  Between now and next Wednesday I have to finish writing two article synopses, answer questions about three chapters in our text book, and have a group project finished.  It's Friday, and I won't have tomorrow to work on any of it.  Instead, I'll be getting up at 4AM, taking Peanut and her friend to school for their debate competition, coming home and then heading to the football stadium around 9AM.  I originally thought that I didn't have to be there until 3PM, but come to find out that's when the game starts and we have to be there FIVE HOURS before the game starts.  So, I'll be there from about 10AM to around 8PM.  A nice ten hour work day.  

So, Sunday, I'll have to spend pretty much all day in front of my computer finishing up all my homework, finding time to do laundry, go grocery shopping, and finish up my lesson plans and entering grades.  

As Peanut would say, though, "YOLO".  Which means "You Only Live Once". 

That's true.  

I can sit here and complain how busy I'll be and how much I've got on my plate, but the truth is it's all worth it.  Years from now, when my life has calmed down somewhat, I'll be able to look back and remember how much I was able to handle, how I was the queen of multi-tasking, and how I was always involved with something or going somewhere for the kids.  It's worth it.  I don't ever want to be a parent that's not a part of my kids' lives, no matter how busy it makes me.

I don't mind admitting that I'm feeling a tad overwhelmed, though.  I mean, school activities are no biggie... except that I went from volleyball and football in the fall to football, show choir, fundraisers, and debate.  I don't mind being so involved with the booster club and helping with fundraisers.  Not only does my helping out earn money for the show choir, but it saves me money.  By working the football games, I'm saving the money I'd have to spend on costumes and trip money.  I realized last night that I give a nice portion of my paycheck each month right back to the school district, so it'd be nice to give more of my time and less of my hard earned money.  Even though that might sound bad.  Just yesterday I had to write a check for $44 for shirts.  Football t-shirts for me and the kids to wear at Butter's football games.  Pretty soon, I'm going to need a new closet to store all of my Mustang (the high school mascot) apparel.. just like I need a new planner to keep up with all the Mustang events. 

I have volleyball shirts, I have football shirts, I have Mustang pride shirts and Tiger Pride (our school mascot) shirts, and I now have a show choir shirt.  I'll never run out of shirts to wear that show my school spirit, that's for sure.

Going back to the overwhelmed thing...I do feel a tad overwhelmed.  Only because I have so much going on with the kids and now have my schooling to think about.  I promised myself and the kids that my going back to school would noway interfere with their activities, or my participation with those activities.  But, I already feel behind because there's so much to do and so little time.  Having a week to work on an assignment should be more than enough time, but throw in after school meetings, practices, weekend activities, and still having to do my regular work, and that time quickly dwindles away.  By the time I get home, I'm so exhausted and the last thing I want to do is homework.  

But, I also know how strong I am.  I know how much I can take on.  I am the woman that went through a teen pregnancy, an abusive relationship, being homeless, a single mother, worked her way through school beating all the odds, found the job of her dreams, and somehow ended up with three AMAZING children, a supportive man to go through the crazy with me, a beautiful home, stability, and comfort.  

If I can go through all that, I think I can handle tons of school activities, college classes, and a very demanding job.  

I'm a freakin' superhero!  There's nothing I can't do, really.

I know it's OK to feel overwhelmed, I work best under pressure.  I know I'll jump over every hurdle, figure out how to juggle everything life throws at me, and still make it out of my classes with all A's and my Master's degree.

It's just what I do....and I'm freakin' awesome at it.

But, right now, I need to handle getting the kids up and ready for school. 

Have a great Friday, everyone!!


Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what's on your mind - I love to hear from you!