Sunday, September 07, 2014

Woo Pig Sheweeee...That was Hard


You know, I've had a lot of tough jobs in my life.  My working career started when I was 13 and worked in my aunt's convenient store, cleaning and stocking shelves.  At 14 I worked in my grandpa's restaurant as a waitress, a fry cook, and I took orders from the front to-go windows.  When I was 16 I got my first "real" job working at Hardee's and I spent 8 hours taking orders, cooking, and cleaning.  But, none of those jobs were anything compared to what I spent all day yesterday doing.

Yesterday, I spent 10 hours working in a concession stand at the University of Arkansas football game, and I can easily say that it was one of the longest, hardest days I've ever worked in my life.  And, once again, I've had some pretty tough jobs.  

Peanut's show choir gets to work a giant concession stand at every home game as a fundraiser for the choir.  Lots of organizations and schools do the same thing, as there is easily over 100 concession stands at the stadium.  Most of the stands sell the usual concession style food:  Popcorn, nachos, pretzels, etc.  But, we were lucky (and unlucky) enough to score a concession stand that sells burgers, fries, onion rings, taco salads, and pulled port.  Those are pretty good money makers, but Lordy are they hard to keep up with.  Lots of prep, cooking, putting the food together, special orders, and then cleaning at the end.  

My job consisted of cooking fries and onion rings, calling orders, putting fries and rings with the orders, and then giving them to whoever ordered them.  It was a lot of walking back and forth because the window where the burgers were put together was on the other side of the concession stand from the frier.  For ten hours I was on my feet, and didn't sit down once.  I got to have a quick break, which allowed me enough time to eat something, and then I was right back at it.  But, even during my "break" I stood up to eat. 

I will say, though, the kids that came along to work definitely worked their behinds off.  Everyone did.  There were 13 of us working, 9 kids (teenagers) and 4 adults.  Even though we had to be there five hours before the game started, we didn't actually get everything we needed to get all set up until about an hour before they started letting people in.  But, that stress didn't phase anyone a bit, and everyone rallied around and worked their butts off to make sure that the customers were happy, served quickly, and that everything flowed smoothly.  The kids and adults worked together so well, and they never once complained, argued, got frustrated, or anything.  It was a hard day, but a fun one.  I am so proud of those kiddos and the way they worked so professionally... and volunteering all that hard work, to boot.  

I finally got home last night a little before 9PM.  That's a long day.  We started at 10AM.  I quickly got out of the greased covered uniform, got cleaned up, and went straight to bed.  I was exhausted.  

I didn't wake up until 10AM this morning, which I was kinda mad about.  I have SOOOOO much to do today, and feel like I wasted most of my morning by sleeping.  Which is why I really need to wrap this up and start working on my homework.  It's going to be a long day and a late night tonight.  But, that's the life of a college student... how quickly I forgot.

Have a great Sunday, everyone!!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what's on your mind - I love to hear from you!