Friday, March 16, 2012

As I Embark Out to the Wilderness...I Leave Behind Some Crazy (BYOC)


Dear Diary...

Today, I will demonstrate the true strength that lies within me...or true stupidity.  I will embark on a journey that takes courage, patience, and dedication.  It is a quest fit only for the bravest, strongest souls.  And this is only a small quest compared to the one I will take in 7 weeks.  What is it you ask?  It's going to work in a school the last day before Spring Break.  Not only that, but I will then travel out in to the wilderness to spend two nights camping with my parents and 8 children.  Did you read that right?  Yes, I said EIGHT children!

So, before I go, it's only fitting that I leave behind a little crazy....cause I'm sure I'll get a whole lot more by Sunday...

1.  How do you feel about college?  If you have kids or siblings - will you encourage or require them to go?  How long did you go and what for?  

Since I was 5 years old, I wanted to be a teacher.  All through middle and high school, I had plans to go to college.  I was excited about going to college.  Then, well, my plans had to change.  I had Peanut when I was 18, Butter when I was 19 and it just wasn't feasible.  But I never gave up hope that I would go to college...one day.  When I was 25 years old, I finally had the ability to go to college and four years later I graduated with my Bachelor of Science in Elementary Education. 

I personally think it depends on what you want to do.  If a kid is a little mixed up about what they want to do with their life, he/she may find it more beneficial to get out in to the work force for a while before spending thousands of dollars on college courses that have no end game in mind.

I will always encourage my children to go to college, because in the world we live in today - a college degree is required to really get a good job.  For the most part.  Although, I will never require them to go.  Peanut has her hopes on being a lawyer.  I will continue to encourage that.  Butter doesn't know what he wants to do - maybe a vet - so he may benefit more by getting a job in a vet's office or working on a farm or something like that first.  Or, they may both change their minds in the next few years and decide on something else.  I just think they should make that decision.  I know in the few years between me graduating high school and going to college, I was able to experience a variety of different jobs:  Retail, medical,  telecommunications, working in a counseling office, and legal.  I got experience in an array of different areas and became interested in some of them.  When it was time to go to college, however, I knew what career path I was taking.

I want my kids/siblings to have an idea about what they want to do - and maybe get a little experience at some point - before jumping in to going to college with their eyes closed.

 2.  Pink or purple?  Coke or Pepsi?  Pen or pencil?  Cursive or printing?  Ketchup or mustard?

Pink AND purple - cause they are both my favorite colors
Pepsi - I can't stand Coke
Both pen and pencil - I work in a school...I've learned with how much my schedule and plans change, sometimes it's best to use a pencil and sometimes it's best to use pen
Cursive AND printing - again, I work with kids.  If I'm writing for myself I use cursive, for them I use print
Mustard - too much sugar in ketchup.  HA!

3.  If you could live in any generation - which one would it be?

Being that I'm a real techno geek, well, I like to think I am, I'd have to say this one.  I love all of the technology that is now available to me.  iPhones, iPads, laptops, HD TV, 3D TV, it's all very fascinating to me.  I'm glad to say that I lived in a generation where having a computer in the house was a very prestigious thing - kinda like when the TV was first invented.  I was probably 16 when my parents were first able to buy a computer, even though I'd been using them at school since 7th grade.  My eyes were open to the digital age, and that was it - I have been hooked ever since. 

I'm pretty sure my life wouldn't be the same without my techno gadgets.

4.  What do you sleep in?

A bed.  HA!  Badabum..I'll be here all weeks, folks.

No, seriously, I sleep in whatever's fitting for the weather.  In the winter I tend to go with fuzzy, fleece jammies.  When it starts to get warmer, I go for thin, cotton jammies.  In the summer, I sleep in shorts and t-shirt or nothing. 

The first thing I do when I walk in to my house at the end of each work day is change in to my jammies.  Very rarely will you find me in my house in regular clothes.  I guarantee during spring break, unless I have to go somewhere, I will wake up each day, take a shower, and then put on clean jammies to spend the day in.  That's just how I'm most comfortable.

5.  Repeat question - summarize your week!

Real life has been a little hectic.  Working the last week before spring break has been tough.  I'm antsy and ready for the break - and so are all the kiddos I work with.  My own children have been biting at each others heels - fighting almost constantly - which has raised my stress level even more.  I've also been getting ready for our camping trip.  Oh, and this morning, I woke up to my NEW IPAD!!  Hubby got off work early and went to Wal-Mart to pick it up.  He's the greatest in the world.  It came out at midnight last night, and he was there waiting in line to pick it up for me.  I love him so much!!

Of course, now I have to wait until Sunday to try it out - because I'm going camping as soon as I leave work, and I can't take it with me...no, I won't take it with me because I don't want to risk anything happening to it.

Blogland has been awesome!! I've stuck to my detox plan every single day.  The idea was that today would be my last day, because of my camping trip and how hard it would be to eat well over the weekend.  Well, I ended up buying a bunch of fruits and veggies to take with me - so I'm not quitting.  I may eat a few things that are not on the plan - but I'm not going off of it completely.  I'm enjoying it too much, and feeling so much better for it.  More details about that the next time I post!

OK, so it's time to go.  I won't be here tomorrow - but I'll have a full recap Sunday or Monday...depending on when I have the strength to write my weekend recap.

Till next time. ;)

Photobucket

1 comment:

  1. All I have to say is GOOD LUCK!! lol, sounds like fun. Look forward to reading about everything when you get back!

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what's on your mind - I love to hear from you!