Friday, December 12, 2014

It's Finally Friday!!!

I can't believe it.  It's Friday.  The day that felt like it was never going to come.  For some reason, this week has been a REALLY long week.  I'm not sure if it's because of all the Christmas excitement, the stuff we're trying to fit in before Christmas break starts, or the fact that we're all so ready for Christmas break that the days are dragging on FOREVER, but I'm just exhausted and so ready for the weekend.

It's not as though I'll get to do much resting this weekend.  I have a wedding reception to go to on Saturday, wrapping to do, cleaning and laundry to get done, and I still have to get to the store and pick up the last few gifts.  But, one thing I don't have to do is homework.  That feels nice, not having to worry about spending hours in front of my computer trying to watch videos, read articles, and write papers.  

One thing I definitely plan on doing this weekend is spending some time with the kids watching one or two of our favorite Christmas movies with some hot chocolate.  I always let that type of stuff pass me by, and this year I REALLY want to make sure we do some more Christmas stuff together.  We watched Elf on Thanksgiving Day, but that's the only Christmas movie we've watched thus far.  It's tradition that we watch Polar Express, The Grinch, and all three Santa Clause movies at some point before Christmas.  

I know my kiddos at school are feeling the weight of Christmas break looming over us, and they are doing their absolute best to contain their excitement.  It's usually really hard to control my students this close to Christmas, but my kiddos are being troopers.  They're still working hard, staying focused, and doing the best they can.  Thankfully, we just need to get through today and next week is pretty much chocked full of Christmas activities that will hopefully make the week zoom by.  

I am so thankful that I get to work in a school that allows us to participate in Christmas activities.  We may not be allowed to get into the religious aspect, too much, but we can still make snowflakes, stockings, and Christmas trees.  I can have a tree in my classroom, and we can do fun Christmas activities like writing letters to Santa, read Christmas themed books, and make Christmas ornaments.  We even go caroling to places around the community which is pretty awesome.  

I'm not sure how I'd feel working in a school where Christmas is banned, and it breaks my heart that so many schools are like that.  I know that many of those schools figure out a way to enjoy seasonal parties and celebrations, like having a "winter party" in lieu of a Christmas party, but I'm so glad that we don't have to worry about that.  I understand the reasoning behind those schools axing the biggest holiday of the year, but I also know that I'd be heartbroken if I couldn't build Christmas traditions and enjoy Christmas activities with my kiddos.

Today, I get to wear my Santa hat to work, and that always puts me in a fun mood.  And today kicks off the "Gateway to Christmas Break" week long celebration.  I have to find an ugly sweater for our Ugly Sweater day on Monday.  I also have to find a gift for our Secret Santa gift exchange that will happen on Wednesday, and make some form of goody to take to work on Monday for a Five Days Until Break daily celebration.  Each day next week, a different group of teachers will provide refreshments for the rest of the teachers.  We have our Christmas concert on Tuesday, the Terrific Tiger assembly on Thursday, a Christmas concert that will be performed for us on Thursday, and then on Friday we will be going caroling and having our Christmas parties.  So much to do and so little time.  Let's not also forget that we will still have to teach during all of that.  HA!

It's going to be a long, exhausting week that's for sure.  But it will be a lot of fun.  I just need to get through today and then I can mentally and physically prepare myself for the festivities that lay ahead for next week. 

So, I better get to getting this day started!

Have an awesome Friday, everyone!

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what's on your mind - I love to hear from you!