Thursday, February 09, 2012

It's OK to Change Things Around



Dear Diary...

I didn't go to the gym last night.  I'm not happy about it, and I actually kinda regret not going, but with the hacking and wheezing I was doing yesterday - I figured it was best to give myself another day off to recover. 

I told myself all day long that no matter what, I was going to the gym.  I didn't care that I was exhausted from not getting much sleep the night before, or that my cough was getting more frequent throughout the day, or that my chest was getting tight and uncomfortable.  Until it was actually time to go to the gym.  Then, all I could imagine was me getting on a piece of equipment, I'd start hacking and coughing, and someone would mistake my cough and shallow breathing for a heart attack, and I'd end up with an ambulance.  Totally paranoid, I know, but it was enough for me to say maybe one more day was needed.

I wish I could say that I'm better this morning, but I'm not.  Not really.  I have a feeling it's going to take several days to get all the crud out of my chest.  I realized, though, that I don't have to go to the gym and do some crazy cardio work-out while I feel like this.  I could go and focus on doing some light weights, getting my circuit training in.  That would be something.  Not as strenuous on my chest, but still getting my body moving and burning some calories.  Unfortunately it won't be tonight because I have parent teacher conference - but I will get back to the gym tomorrow night! 

This sickness couldn't have come at a worst time.  My first week devoted to going to the gym is crucial at building a routine.  Thankfully, I'm pretty ticked off about not going last night - and I have to keep that fire burning.  I know that I have to give my body time to heal when it's sick.  There's no shame in that.  It just means I pick up the slack once my body is back to 100%.

This weekend is going to put a little damper on going to the gym.  I'm going to my parent's house on Saturday and probably spending the night.  That will mean having to improvise while I'm there.  Just because I won't have the gym doesn't mean I can't get in some exercise.  One thing I've realized, pretty quick actually, is that I can't lose momentum.  The minute I start to slack off, I run the risk of losing my mo-jo.  I've got to keep myself moving and pumped by getting my exercise in.

Even though I'm very early in to my New Me outlook, it's imperative that I realize I can't revolve my life around the gym.  I'm going to have plans on the weekends.  There's going to be situations that cause me to skip the gym.  With that, I have to realize that I don't just get a No Exercise card. No, it means I have to improvise, come up with an alternative plan, find a way to still get in some exercise - even if it is outside the comfort of the gym.  While I'm confident and comfortable with the gym being my main source of calorie burning, there are going to be times when I just have to figure out something else to do.   

This weekend, for example, I figure I can run some laps down my parent's driveway.  It's a tenth of a mile long, ten laps gives me a mile.  I could alternate jogging and walking.  If I really wanted to get crazy, I could walk the 3.4 mile loop around her house.  Ahh, I remember the days when I used that loop as my 5K training.  Once upon a time, like a year ago, I was able to jog 90% of that loop.  It sure would be nice to get back to doing that.

Which reminds me, I haven't forgotten that I'm going to be doing the Race for the Cure in April.  It's still on my radar.  I will be doing it regardless of whether it's jogged or walked.  I'm thinking I may bow out of the competitive run this year.  I'm not sure my body will be ready for it - but I'm not making that decision just yet.  You never know, I may go all crazy and realize that I could get the training I need in by April. 

OK, I've bantered on long enough for today.  If my whole body got as much exercise as my fingers do each morning - I'd be running marathons by now!

Till next time. ;)
Photobucket

1 comment:

  1. Hope you're feeling better soon and good job on holding on to your exercise mojo!

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what's on your mind - I love to hear from you!