Thursday, December 20, 2012

Christmas Break! Let the Fun Begin!


Who's the girl that waits weeks and weeks for the sweet moment of being able to sleep in on a Thursday and then gets up at 6am on that Thursday?  Oh yes.  This girl right here.

First day of Christmas break, and I'm asleep on the couch by 9pm the night before and up at 6am the morning of.  Craziness, I tell ya!

But it's OK.  I've got two more weeks to sleep in and stay up late.  Don't have to do everything I wanted to do on the very first day, right?

Yesterday was EX-HAUS-TING!  But so much fun.  The day started out with 18 crazy 4th graders bustling in to the room bringing TONS of food.  And I mean TONS.  We had 60 small bags of chips, 6 big bags of chips, 3 dozen cookies, 24 cupcakes, 24 mini cupcakes, 24 juice bottles, 24 packages of Capri Sun, 24 cans of soda, animal crackers, and the mini cheesecakes that Hubby made for the kids.  Did I mention there are only 18 kids in my class?  Yeah.  Sugar and carb OVERLOAD.

The kids watched a Christmas movie for a while until it was time to walk the streets of town to do some caroling.  We walked over to the Methodist Daycare (where Jelly happens to go) to sing for the little kids.  The entire 4th grade and 6th grade, accompanied by the Glee Club.  That's a lot of kids to fit in to a small daycare.  But, it went really well, and all the kids enjoyed it.  Then it was back to school to finish up the Christmas movie before going to lunch.

After lunch, my class made elf donuts before starting their Christmas party.  It was a sticky mess trying to get frosting and powered sugar and cinnamon sugar all over tiny Cheerios - but boy, did they have fun.  The kids put the "donuts" in to little gift boxes they had made themselves and finished them off with some ribbon.  I guarantee that less than half of those boxes actually made it home to the kids' Christmas trees... but oh well.

We had a few parents show up for the party, and the kids had a great time.  I made the executive decision to put away half of the food the kids had brought for a party after Christmas.  There was just no way I could sit there and watch them try and munch down on all that food.  So, they enjoyed some chips, cookies, a cupcake, a cheesecake, a juice bottle, and a soda.  Still way too much in my opinion, but it's Christmas.

By the time the last kid left my room for the day, I was absolutely beat - and my classroom was a disaster.  I spent an hour cleaning up and taking down the Christmas decorations... because my classroom won't see me again until the first day back to school.  Then, I was able to go home.

My original plan for my first day of Christmas break was to do absolutely nothing.  Then I remembered that Butter has a doctor's appointment, and I have to go back up to the school to pick up the movie I forgot, and I have to go and find something for dinner tonight.  Not exactly the lazy, do nothing day I was hoping for.

I'm not worried, though.  In reality I kinda knew that the few days left before Christmas wouldn't be spent sitting around doing nothing.  There's still a lot to do... starting with cleaning the house.  UGH!  I'm not going to complain.  I've waited too long for this time off - so I need to enjoy each and every minute of it...even if it is doing stuff I really don't want to do.

It's hard to believe that there's only 5 days left until Christmas.  I still have a few things to wrap and a few gift cards to pick up.  Other than that, I'm pretty ready to go.  I'm going to get shopping out of the way today so I don't have to try and beat the crowds this weekend.  I'm not that crazy.

Alright, I'm off to enjoy my first day of break.



Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what's on your mind - I love to hear from you!