Friday, December 07, 2012

Friday's Letters....To Santa!!!


Dear Santa,

I want to start out by saying that I'm sorry you won't be getting as much attention this year as you're used to getting.  I can't believe that after 12 long years, I will finally get a little credit for the Christmas I'm giving my kids.  While it breaks my heart that my oldest two kids don't believe in you anymore, I can't help but wonder if knowing that they know I'm the one buying all the gifts doesn't make Christmas that little more exciting.

The good news is, you still have one child in the house that is counting on you to really deliver for her this year.  No pun intended.  She's so excited about seeing you on Saturday and giving you a run down on the things she wants for Christmas.  She was mesmerized by the video that you sent her, and now that her birthday is over, you're all she's thinking of.

This has really been a fantastic year.  I've been so blessed by so many things that I really can't think of anything to ask you for - for myself.  I know it's kinda cliche, but I will perfectly content watching my children open up their gifts from you Christmas morning.  This year is going to be a great Christmas regardless of how much stuff is under the tree.  Everyone in my house has a lot to be thankful for, so the gifts are just an added bonus.

This week, I challenged the kids in my class to write about something they'd buy for someone else - if they could.  I was pleasantly surprised by some of the papers I read.  All of the kids in my class have such good hearts.

I've decided, being that they were so good at writing about it, I would write to you with the same request.  Instead of asking for something for myself, this week and next week I would pick someone else to ask for.

This week, I'm going to ask for something for my entire class.  Yes, I know that's technically 18 "somethings", but I'm grouping them all up and asking for the same thing for all of them - so that makes it easier.

Being a first year teacher, I was so nervous about my first class.  Would I get a class full of kids that have terrible behavior issues?  Would I get a class full of kids that hate school?  Would I get a class full of kids that hated me?  And you know what?  I didn't get any of that.  I couldn't ask for a better first year class than the class I have right now.

Each child in my classroom has such a big heart.  They work together, help each other, and do everything asked of them.  They appreciate the efforts of their hard work, and the rewards that are bestowed on them from me.  These are kids that are perfectly content with hearing a "good job" from me to boost their motivation and spirits.  Which makes it that much sweeter when I can reward them with parties and candy and extra recess time.  Stuff like that is like winning the lottery for them.

Each child in my class has a different story.  They come from different homes, different cultures, different surroundings, but when we're together?  We're one big, happy family.

That's why, I would like to request that you make a special visit to each one of them this year.  I'm not going to ask for specific items to take to them - but please send them back to me in January with wonderful stories to share about their Christmas experience.  They all deserve to have a good Christmas - and that doesn't necessarily mean getting a bunch of gifts.  Give them a Christmas experience without having to wonder if they'll get a Christmas dinner.  Make sure there's no fighting or arguing taking place anywhere near them.  Give them the gift of spending time with the ones they love.  And if you can swing a nice gift for each one of them?  Well, that would really be A-OK with me.

Just as I do with my biological children each year, I'm going to try and help you out just a little by at least giving them a little something before they head out for Christmas break.  It won't be a lot - but it will be something.  Something they can unwrap, enjoy, and tells them that I'll be thinking of them while we're gone.

These kids have done so much for others already this year.  They've put their own money in to fundraisers that's taken place, they've rallied together to provide treats for a holiday party for each other, they know how to give -that's for sure.  Now, I'd really like to see them receive some of the receiving benefits.

While I'm enjoying time with my family this Christmas, every single one of those kids in my classroom will be in my heart and mind.  I'll be thinking of them, hoping that their Christmas is just as special and wonderful as mine.  I'm counting on you to help make that happen.

Alright, I think I've made my point.  I'll let you ponder on this for a while - until next Friday, when I come back with my next letter.

Send my regards to Mrs. Claus, the elves, and give the reindeer an extra carrot from me.

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what's on your mind - I love to hear from you!