Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Change is Inevitable

                               


Every day, life throws us new challenges, new goals, new decisions, and new adventure.  One day is never exactly the same as the next.  You may follow the same routines, do the same activities, etc. but something about the way you do it a second time will be different from the first.

We are forever changing.

Which is why it is so weird that one of the biggest fears many people have is change.

I am a creature of change.  I encourage it, embrace it, and look forward to it.  I'm always looking for ways to mix things up and add some spice to my life.  

Running through the same motions day in and day out is just not something I can do.  I get bored, I get frustrated, and I want to do something crazily erratic if I have to put up with too much of the same thing over and over and over again.

But, I am also familiar with people that absolutely terrified of change.  And there's a big difference from not liking change and being scared of it.

In the world of education, there's always something changing.  Standards, rules, expectations, curriculum, etc.  There are those that don't like the constant changes... but they'll do it.  They've been through the changes for years, and just wish everything would get left alone so that they can do their way.  

That's not a fear of change, that's a dislike for it.  

Then, there are people that are so scared of change that they will live in a world of misery and pain because making changes scares them more than living the miserable life they're currently living.  

I was one of those people many years ago.  In my mind, it was much easier to stay in an abusive, unloving, depressing relationship than even think about starting over.  Change was a very scary thing.  What would I do?  Where would I go?  Who would love me?  The unknown was more scary to me than living in the nightmare that I was living in.

Thinking back now, I am amazed at myself.  Is this why I'm such a proponent for change now?  Is it why I don't like things to stay too constant for too long? 

Maybe.  

But, I do know that the day I packed up my car with as much as I could fit in it, strapped my two kids in their car seats, and set off in to the world of uncertainty, it was one of the most exhilarating moments of my life.  I didn't care about what the future had in store for me, at that moment, I just focused on what I needed to do to ensure that my future had any chance of happiness.  And there hasn't been a day that's gone by that I've regretted that decision.  Sure, times were very tough after.... but those tough times all added up to the joy that I have in my life now.

A very wise man once said:  "The only thing constant in this world is change."

Life is constantly changing.  New technology, new government officials, new laws, new arguments, new opportunities.  

How anyone can be scared of change in a world where change is inevitable blows my mind.

I know there are lots of new changes coming my way.  Some that I'll bring on myself, some that I will have no control over, some that I'll love, and some that I won't.  But, one thing I always tell myself is as long as I embrace the change, it has no power over me.  I can go with the flow, or try and fight an opponent I have no chance of beating.  And who wants to fight something they have no chance of beating?  

Not me.

Everyone deserves to be happy.  Everyone.  And everyone is the commander of their own happiness.  If you choose to live in situation that makes you unhappy, only YOU have the power to change it.  If you don't like something about your life, only YOU have the power to change it.  If you want a second chance at an opportunity you didn't get right the first time, only YOU have the power to go for it.  If you just want to start your life over, only YOU have the power to do it.

Nobody can make those decisions for you.

I know there are some decisions I make with great difficulty.  I stress and obsess over them for along time, because they are important decisions.  I weigh the pros and the cons.  But, ultimately, my decisions are made based on the changes that will be brought about to my life.  Will they be good changes?  Will they be bad?  Are the bad chances worth the risk?  Are the good changes enough?

At the end of every one of my life's decisions, the process of change is the answer.  

I will forever embrace the changes that come to my life.  I will learn from them, explore them, and welcome them.  Because, without change life becomes stagnant.  And who wants a stagnant life?  Not me.

And these are my "Wise Wednesday" words.. HA!

Have a great Wednesday, everyone!


Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what's on your mind - I love to hear from you!