Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Daily Dose of Crazy!

Before writing my post yesterday, I took a few minutes to read back over some previous posts.  I soon realized that the blog had taken a shift from what I wanted it to be to what I feared it would become.  I never intended to start this blog to record my weekly weight loss results - it was SUPPOSED to be a blog that shared my thoughts, feelings, and tips on how I'm losing weight.  So, as of today, I'm going to try and update the blog daily.  I want it to be more like a personal blog than a "informational" blog - but I do want to share some of the things that I do to make life easier.  Each day, I'll try and come up with a topic to discuss - and we'll see how we go. 

Today's installment:  Breakfast

I'll admit it, I used to be the worst person when it came to eating breakfast.  There are many excuses why - lack of time, too busy sitting at the computer desk, not hungry, etc.  My personal preference when it came to breakfast was about 6 cups of coffee - and then I was good to go.  That was until about noon when the hunger pangs set in.  I would then find the nearest McDonald's or gas station to grab "a quick bite" which consisted of a nice fried something or other.  Not good.

So, when I decided to start losing weight (again) I had to re-evaluate the whole breakfast thing.  Now, here's where I have to disagree with all the "experts" out there that preach how important it is to lay out a daily meal plan so that everything is nice and planned out so there's no reason to skip breakfast.  I tried it - I created my first week's meal plan, got up the next day, and then thought "I really don't feel like eating scrambled egg whites on toast".  Immediate start of disaster.  Now, don't get me wrong, I do make a weekly meal plan for dinners.  It's so much easier to coordinate what's for dinner each day and know who's cooking ahead of time - so we plan dinners (will talk about some other time).  Back to breakfast.   So, here's a solution I found that WORKED:  I decided to start looking at some options for breakfast that I could eat on the run.  I was amazed at the options that were out there - and how much more appealing they were to me.  So, here's what I suggest:

Find a few options that you find appealing for breakfast.  My favs are Fiber One cereal bars (in yummy flavors like chocolate and almond), Weight Watchers muffins, Fiber One Caramel Delight and Raisen Bran cereals, Soy Joy fruit bars and toast with Smuckers sugar free jelly.  Depending on my mood each morning, I grab the one that appeals to me the most.  I have an option if I'm in a hurry, if I don't feel like taking too long to fix breakfast, and something if I'm home.  I find that I now wake up each morning and think "today's a Fiber One cereal day" or "my blueberry WW muffins are calling my name". 

So - today's daily dose of crazy in a nutshell??  DON'T plan your week's worth of breakfasts.  Find a few options to keep around the kitchen, and then get up in the morning and grab something.  Now, this only works if you actually GRAB something.  Ditch the excuses - there aren't any good ones for my suggestion.  If you're not hungry when you first get up - stick a cereal bar in your purse before you leave the house...trust me, the hunger will call eventually. 

Till next time.  ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what's on your mind - I love to hear from you!