Saturday, August 21, 2010

Eating My Words

I have to start out by saying what an awesome feeling it is to be sitting in front of my computer at 8:30am drinking my coffee and writing this blog.  I have been back at work for a week, but it feels like a lifetime since I've enjoyed this experience.  I'm fully rested, refreshed, and ready to spill about the week I've had - and how much I've missed writing for you all.

It has been a very long week - an amazing week - but a very long one.  If you've ever heard, or your one of those people that say a teacher's job is "easy" then I'm here to tell you that you are WRONG!!  I have worked harder and longer this week than I have EVER worked in my life.  Every day I have literally stumbled through my front door in the evenings completely exhausted.  The funny part is I have never felt more fulfilled or happy about being so tired - or about the work that I have spent each day doing.  I have waited my whole life to step into a classroom as a teacher, and now that I'm doing it - it's the most amazing feeling...one that is just impossible to put into words. 

So, this blog is a weight loss blog - so it's time to discuss how my new routine and job are affecting my weight loss.  Well, after spending several weeks this summer laying out my "no excuses" mentality, I feel a little guilty about how I've started off.  It would be great to say that my working-out and eating habits have stayed exactly the same - and I haven't faltered at all....but unfortunately, that's not the case. 

No, I haven't worked out 6 times this week.  No, I haven't eaten 6 times every day.  This week has shown me that it's time to make some adjustments to my schedule - but I've learned how to do it, so that's a plus.  I've given myself a week to use my excuses of "I'm so tired", and "I don't have time" - but I have the motto "no excuses" for a reason.  I just had to realize how I work around them.  I was pleasantly surprised this morning when I stepped on the scale to discover that I haven't gained any weight.  I thought that with my lack of exercise and good food choices this week - I was surely going to have gained a pound or two.  Nope, I didn't - and I put that down to how active I have been at work.  I'm serious, teaching really IS hard work. 

Enough about that - it's time to focus on my new plan.  I'm calling this Operation Crazy!  I thought that would be a fitting name, being that I am a Mad, Fat Woman after all.  Taking from a lesson we did in my first grade class this week, I am going to make myself a set of promises.  These promises are going to help deal with focusing on my healthier life and losing weight while dealing with working a full-time job and going to school (college classes).  Here we go:

Operation Crazy:
I promise to pack and take my lunch and two snacks every day.
I promise to eat breakfast or drink a protein shake every morning before leaving for work.
I promise to chose healthy choices when eating lunch out with my co-workers.
I promise to JUST SAY NO when the break-room has unhealthy food options laid out for the taking.
I promise to take work-out clothes to work with me and walk/run around the nearby track at least 2 times a week.
I promise to work-out hard on the weekends.
I promise that I will try my hardest to post to my blog a minimum of 3 nights a week, and every Saturday and Sunday.
I promise to take my water bottle to work every day, keep it filled at all times, and drink at least 3 bottles worth throughout the day.
Lastly, and most importantly, I promise to not fail, fall off the wagon, or make any excuses to not keep the above promises.

I am the kind of person that makes a promise and keeps it.  Looking at these promises, I feel like they are pretty easy to keep.  I put numbers such as "2 times a week" and "3 times a week" because when working 10 hour days they are numbers that I can realistically keep.  I want to work-out more than 2 times a week, and I want to post to my blog more than 3 times during the week, but while still getting used to my new routine I think it's best to start out easy.  If things go well, and I'm running at the track 3 or 4 nights a week then I'm pushing myself - and that's always better than starting out with a high goal and then barely able to make the 2 nights a week. 

Tomorrow I will discuss more about how I intend to keep my promises, my new food plan, and share some bad news about boot camp.

Thank you everyone that continues to support me, follow my journey, and provide words of encouragement.  I know that I can do this with your help - and here's a promise for you "I am still here, I am still fighting the good fight, and I still offer my support in your journey".

Till next time.  ;)

3 comments:

  1. Awesome! And do remember that the longer you teach, the easier it will become. I'm 100% with you that teaching is a lot of work, but right now you are in the Survival Stage, so it's even harder. AND the beginning of every school year is intense. Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey Kudos to you for making goals and realizing what you need to do to stay on track. I am right here with you!!! I work 5-6 days a week often 10+ hours a day and then come home to my 1 year old. Between cooking, cleaning, and caring for her it is often so hard to fit "me time" in and my me time is my working out! So I have learned that preparation is key. I cook all day on Sundays my day off and have food for the week for work and I pack a lunch and snacks everyday.
    You have done so well so far I know you will continue to succeed!

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what's on your mind - I love to hear from you!