Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Feeling the Burn....of Work

Don't worry, my intentions is to not allow this blog to become a personal journal of my internship experience.  That being said, I will be sharing information from days that mean a lot to me - and today is one of those days. 

I got to the school this morning around 7:15am.  I started helping my mentor teacher and the other first grade teachers prepare for our first open house.  I was so excited to get everything set up and meet the kids that will be in my class.  It was a long day, and I worked very hard.  By the time the kids started arriving, I was exhausted!  Once the first student walked into the room, though, my energy level shot through the roof and my excitement level went just as high.  It was such a great experience to meet the kiddos that I will have the privilege of teaching for the first nine weeks of my internship.  They were so darn cute!!!  I had such a great time talking to the kids and meeting the parents.  The kids were excited, some a little shy, but all seemed happy about starting school.  As the last student walked out of the door, a rush of joy swam through my veins.  It was a feeling that told me I had been waiting my whole life for that very moment - and that this was the career I was born to do.  Yes, I was tired - exhausted - it's amazing how hard it is to prepare a classroom, but I left the school with such a sense of pride.  I left feeling like I had worked hard, but enjoyed every moment of it.  It was a feeling of pure satisfaction.

I know that I'm going to have a great time with teaching this school year - but I worried a little about my abilities to fulfill my journey.  I don't doubt that I'm going to succeed, I worried more about the amount of time I will be able to devote to working out and eating right.  When I got into my car ready to drive home, I started thinking about how I could make this school year the best one yet - especially in regards to my weight loss.  As thoughts bounced around my head, I pulled out of the parking lot - and that's when my "duh" moment hit me.  Right across the street from the school is a park.  Around that park is a walking/ running track.  Now, I know that I wasn't placed in this school for any other reason than the university I attend just deciding to place me there - but seeing that park was a sign.  There is no need to worry about getting my work-outs in, all I have to do is walk out of work each night, walk across the street, and spend 30 minutes running around that track - at least!  My motto has become "NO EXCUSES!" - well, I most definitely must live up to that motto.  I have access to a track EVERY single day...I must put it to use! 

As much as it breaks my heart to say it, I really don't think that I will be able to do boot camp again after this session finishes.  I wish I could, but with as much work as I will have - there's just no feasible way to do it.  I knew that it was going to come to this, but I wanted to test the waters first before making my decision.  Seeing that track today (after my "duh" moment) made me realize that I'm going to be OK. Just because boot camp is going to end (for now) doesn't mean that I'm going to fail.  It just means that I have to search for other resources - and I've found one. 

Being placed in the school I'm in isn't just going to be an amazing experience for my teaching career, it's also going to provide me the strength and resources I need to continue my weight-loss journey.  How can anyone have a more perfect job than that? 

That's it for tonight - till next time.  ;)

1 comment:

  1. I love that you have a park right there!!!! When I was running -- and before I gained all this weight -- I would do what you are going to do. Change clothes before I left work, get in my run, and THEN go home.

    And I'll bet a lot of the kids (and their parents) will see you -- Role Model!!! Woot!

    Cathy

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what's on your mind - I love to hear from you!