Monday, August 02, 2010

Not Enough Hours in the Day

"I work full time".  "I have kids!"  "I'm a full time student, with going to classes AND homework..."  "I don't get five minutes a day to myself, let alone thirty".

Any of these statements sound familiar?  What if I was to ask you - why don't you work out?  Now are they sounding familiar?  They should.  They're the most common excuses I hear for not exercising.  Yeah, I said it EXCUSES!!!

Well, try raising 3 kids (one of which is a toddler - so no baby excuses), going to school full-time, working part-time, spending evenings doing homework.  There's no way you could find time to work out, right?  WRONG!!! That was my schedule back in January when I started my journey.  Wanna know what it's going to be like in 2 weeks?  Up at 5am so that I can get the kids ready and get the little one to daycare by 6:30am.  Be at my internship by 7 - where I will stay until around 4 everyday somenights closer to 6 if not later.  Then go pick up lil one then home.  Still taking classes, still got homework - still got kids that need help with their homework in the evenings.  Hmmm...there's no way I'll be able to work out - right??  WRONG AGAIN!!  Not only will I be working out, but I'll be going to Boot Camp three times a week!!

How much time do you spend on the computer doing stuff other than working?  How much time do you spend watching TV?  How many hours do you sleep at night?  If your answer is none, none, and 6....then you're not reading this...so it doesn't count. 

You don't exercise because you don't want to exercise.  If you REALLY wanted to - you'd make time.  But who wants to make time for that?  Not you?  Then don't whine about being overweight!!! Don't whine that you want to get healthier!!  Don't whine when the doctors tell you that you're heading down the road to diabetes, heart disease, etc.  

Everyone has 15 minutes a day that they could spend doing some kind of physical activity.  Work long hours? Go for a walk around the parking lot before going home.  Got kids?  Then take them to the park and play a game of soccer.  Got a baby?  Put him in a stroller and walk your butt around on a walking trail.  Don't have time to go to a track each day?  Then buy a $5 work-out DVD and do it at home - or spend 10 minutes a day doing push-ups, sit-ups, jumping jacks...ANYTHING!! 

You are the controller of excuses.  They are like road blocks - unless you find another way around them, you'll be stuck in your spot FOREVER!  We all live busy lives - you're no exception.  Yet, so many people are able to find 15-30 minutes a day EVERY day just for themselves.  They use that time to work out. 

So, today I challenge you.  Stop your whining.  Stop your excuse making.  Get your butt off of the couch and DO SOMETHING!!!  Will you except the challenge?

Till next time.  ;)

Image courtesy of:  http://www.flickr.com/photos/photomastergreg/1325980336/

3 comments:

  1. SO true! I've had excuse after excuse after excuse. I finally got over it and threw all my excuses out the window this weekend!

    Great blog! I'm following you from Blog to Lose. : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. I stopped exercising for a while because of problems with my feet. I knew it was an excuse and I could find other ways to exercise, but it took me awhile to take the plunge! Now I swim 2 times a week. It's not quite where I want to be, but it's a start. I feel so incredibly good about myself for making time to do this. I encourage any of you readers that have physical limitations to think outside the box or use google to get ideas for exercise that you can do. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what's on your mind - I love to hear from you!