Thursday, August 26, 2010

I Gotta Run

Congratulations, ladies and gents - you're getting another blog post in less than 24 hours from the last.  What's so incredibly important for me to write a post this morning, you ask?  Nothing, except for the fact that I have time to do it this morning.  On Thursday's, I don't get to teach.  Instead, I get to attend my college classes all day.  The only plus side to me missing out on a day with my awesome first graders is the fact that I get to sleep in just a little later, and have time to write my blog before leaving for the day (oh, and I guess my learning is another plus).

I think I'm going to write a Thursday morning post each week, but refrain from posting the night before.  Last night I had some trouble coming up with stuff to write about.  This morning, I have a few things I'm going to share - but hopefully next week, I can have a better plan in place so that my Thursday morning posts are along the lines of "enjoyable" (at least readable) content.

This morning, I've been thinking a lot about my running - or lack there of.  I made a commitment a few days ago that I would start running after work at least twice a week.  It looks as though I will be breaking that promise this week.  I want to kick my own butt - because I HATE breaking promises.  I have a good excuse - I mean reason I didn't run this week...but you know as well as I do that no reason is good enough.  This week's temps have been around 103 by the time school gets out.  When I walk out of the school building, it's just so hot, muggy, and humid - I just can't find the motivation I need to go to the track and run in it.  That's one of the downsides to school getting out at 2:30 in the afternoon.  Although, I got an amazing surprise when I walked out of my house yesterday morning - it was about 65 degrees!!  When I left work yesterday afternoon, I had an appointment that I had to get to (another excuse) but the weather couldn't of been more perfect.  As I drove to my appointment, I was so sad that I was missing out on the perfect weather to go for a run.  It was still 90 degrees, but the humidity wasn't there - so it felt much cooler.

I want you all to know that I'm not running because I don't want to run.  I love running, I miss running...I need to run.  If I can't have boot camp, I need the next best thing - and that is taking a nice long run at the end of each day.  I'm going to take my work-out clothes with me tomorrow, and keeping my fingers crossed that the weather works in my favor to get out and run at the end of work.  I'm so tired when I get home, that I really think that a run before heading home would give me the boost of energy I need to stop me from passing out on the couch within 30 minutes of stepping in the front door.

It's hard for me to admit that I'm having a hard time adjusting to my new schedule.  I feel guilty about being so persistent to all of you that there are no excuses - and being busy isn't a good reason to destroy all of your hard work in getting into your schedule in the first place.  I admit it's a lot harder than I thought.  This is the first time in..well..forever that I've had a job that gets me up at 4:30am and has me coming home close to 5 each evening.  I then spend an hour or two (or four) each evening getting things ready for my next day.  Before I know it, I'm either passed out on the couch because I made the mistake of sitting on it for two minutes, or it's close to 10pm and I tell myself I have to go to bed because 4:30 comes very quickly.  I'm not giving up, though - this is just a learning process for me.  It's just going to take some adjustment, some serious dedication, and taking my own advice: NO EXCUSES! 

As this week comes to a close, not all is lost.  I have been eating right, I've been drinking water during the day, and hopefully the weather cooperates for me to start running after work.  I've also cleared my calendar this weekend so that I can make up a little for lost time.  I'm going to run, I'm going to hit the weights, and I'm going to make myself work hard. 

Till next time.  ;)

4 comments:

  1. Don't forget you are very important so make the time for yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome! I used to run and have been out of the running loop for a LONG time now. I just completed C25K Day 1 so I'm trying to get back into it! I've decided NO EXCUSES here either. And the weather is cooperating this morning.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for the extremely kind gesture. When I said I wad looking for volunteers, I should of been clearer and said volunteers that work at the school. I'm pretty sure I'm going to have to recruit teachers, but I will find out more today. If you know about the organization, however, I may be seeking your help for ideas and information though. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel you about using excuses.. I did that today and feel horrible about using it to get out of going to the gym today.. and I'm sure that "boat" is filled with loads more people..

    Just the fact that you are "manning up" means a lot.. I have got to start telling myself "no more excuses".. thanks for reminding me of that..

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what's on your mind - I love to hear from you!