Monday, June 11, 2012

Swimming.... Is There a More Fun Exercise?

I'm going to start off by being a Debbie Downer...

I freaking hate Summer. Hate it. I hate the hot weather, the humidity. I can't step outside without feeling like I'm suffocating, and I sweat by doing absolutely nothing at all. If it were 80 degrees with zero humidity every single day of the summer - I'd be one very happy person.

But summer in NW Arkansas doesn't work that way. It's 80 degrees at 7am. And there's like 75% humidity - which brings the feeling of the temp up to around 90. By mid-day, when the temperature is hovering around 95 and the humidity is up to 90%? Ugh, just unbearable.

Although, if I do have to put up with the miserable summer - then there's one thing that can make my ill feelings simmer a little. And that would be swimming.

It wasn't until I got in the pool for the first time this summer on Saturday that made me realize how fun and exhausting swimming can really be.

Now, I'll be honest, when I went to my friend's house on Saturday to go swimming - exercise wasn't something I was really thinking about. All I had on my mind was getting in that cold, crisp water and relaxing. I wanted to spend some time with my kiddos and enjoy the day. But, when you're in this type of environment, who really thinks about exercising?

While I was in the pool, I hauled my 45lbs daughter up over my head 50 times and threw her in to the water. I played tag - running, or trying to run, through the water. I swam around with the same 45lbs daughter on my back. I played water baseball and ran around imaginary bases. The only thing I didn't do? Relax. There was no laying on a floaty sipping a cool beverage and letting the rays give me a tan. Oh no, I did more exercise in that pool in the 2 hours I was in there than I've probably done in the last 2 months.

And something else that makes pool exercising even more amazing? No sweat! Or at least sweat that bothers the crud out of me.

Now why can't all exercise be as fun as swimming? I mean, really. You've heard how much I've complained about all kinds of exercise. But, what possibly could there be to complain about exercising in a pool? I can't think of a single thing.

So, while I'm at my parents - I have to settle for walking up and down the driveway. Not the worst way to exercise. Walking does help me destress. But, after my parents come home - I'm going to make it a priority to get to the pool at least three times a week. More could very much be arranged - and taken very nicely in to my schedule.

I have absolutely no idea how many calories I burn while doing any of the above mentioned activities... but it's got to count for something, right? I had weight work, cardio, strength training. All wrapped in to a cool, refreshing, enjoyable package.

Yes, I definitely believe I've found something that can both satisfy my need to get in exercise AND give me a way to really enjoy my summer.

Until I have the luxury of making swimming a part of my regular routine, I will spending the rest of this week walking, weed-eating, mowing, and cleaning house. Plenty of exercise opportunities.

Till next time. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what's on your mind - I love to hear from you!