Monday, September 03, 2012

It's Gonna Be A Hot One, Today

What a fantastic day we had, yesterday.  Fun, food, swimming.  A great way to end the summer...if only the summer would notice that it should be starting to head away now and crawl back in it's hole. 

Actually, we're having one big hoorah next weekend when I take the kids camping - but that's for next week's material.

Back to yesterday.  It was great.  The kids went swimming, the adults sat and talked, we ate the most fabulous food - ribs, potato salad, deviled eggs, raw carrots, and strawberries - and then an evening of the kids playing the Wii while the adults found more to talk about. 

When it was time to come home, I was ready to lay on the couch for a while and relax.  But, when I got home - my evening of lazing around just wasn't going to happen.  The minute I walked in my front door, I knew something was wrong... because it was hotter IN my house than it was outside.  And there was a distinct smell of plastic burning.  Panic Mode Def Con 1.

I dropped everything that was in my hand and took off running like a mad woman.  I knew exactly where to head - to the laundry room where the AC is housed.  Sure enough, all the pipes on the AC had about an inch of ice on them - and there was a buzzing sound coming from the blower.  Who knows how long that thing was trying to run without a burner?  Thankfully, all I discovered was the smell of burning... no actual smoke or flames.  Phew!

Hubby had drove his bike to P-Momma's house, so he was a little ways behind me.. but he had driven in the driveway by the time I had realized what was going on.  He came in, took a look at it, and found the wires to the condenser were black.  Awesome.   There would be no more temporary fix that was going to get us through the Labor Day weekend. 

Now, we probably have to replace the blower and the condenser.  Something Hubby can do - thankfully - but not until we can get to an AC shop to buy the stuff.  We had one of two options - call a repair man to come out on a holiday and pay a bazillion dollars to fix it.  Or, we suck it up, sweat a lot, and wait until Hubby can buy the parts himself tomorrow.  Of course, we went with option B.

I wouldn't mind so much if it wasn't going to be close to 100 degrees outside.  Why couldn't have this happened last week when the highs were in the 80s?  Oh no.  I have to feel the wrath of summer one last time.  And Summer wonders why I hate her so much.  Huh.

We have all of the windows open right now, and the fans going... but it's not really helping much.  It's 80 degrees outside right now... but by 4pm this afternoon, that dang weatherman is saying we could see 100!  Lord, help me!  100 degrees with no AC?  Somebody poke my eyes out now.

Yes, I could go somewhere.  I could escape the heat for the day.  But, somebody didn't get their work done this weekend that they brought home.  Somebody has a pile of paperwork that needs to be done.  Somebody is learning the hard way at to why she is so strict about the kids doing their homework BEFORE they go out and play.  I always hate when the "do as I say, not as I do" situation blows up in my face. 

I am going to get out of the house for a little while - even if it's just a trip to Wal-Mart.  I may even stick a fan on the back deck and try and work out there.  Oh wait.  I can't do that - because that's grasshopper territory.  They invaded from the north, and have taken over every bit of our outside world...and are closing in fast.  I really don't like those creepy, jumping, green things.  They scare me to death.  There's just no way I'd be able to concentrate on my work knowing that they were watching me, eying me up, waiting to pounce.  UGH!

So, my carefree, relaxing, don't have to worry about anything day is a little ruined.  I'm not going to let it completely get me down.  I'll stick a cold towel around my neck, sit in front of the window AC that we've got in the living room, and do what I can to not turn in to a crouchy old woman.  I said I'll try.

Hope you all have a cooler, more fun Labor Day!
Photobucket

1 comment:

  1. It's been really hot here too. Which is good because it's great motivation to workout in the air conditioned gym. ;-) Unfortunately, the gym is closed today for the holiday. Good luck getting your workout in without getting attacked by grasshoppers.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what's on your mind - I love to hear from you!