Monday, September 24, 2012

Weekend Wrap-Up.. Among Other Things

So, I'm just now realizing this, but I haven't left my house since I got home Friday evening.  I can't remember a single weekend where I haven't had to at least run to the store or something over the course of a weekend.  Yet, somehow, I managed to escape having to go anywhere for two days.

Which, of course, now I'm kinda regretting.  Because the weather was beautiful this weekend...and I sat around the house working.  Meh.  Oh well.  Can't change that now.  I'm sure there will be a few more beautiful weekends before the weather starts to turn.

And I had a very balanced weekend.  Meaning a good balance of work and relaxation.  I spent some time grading, entering in grades, and planning.  I spent some time doing a little laundry and cleaning.  I spent some time balled up on the couch with a cup of coffee and a blanket.  I even managed to get in a short nap yesterday afternoon.  While I'm thinking about it, I don't recall having to tell the kids not to fight or argue either. 

Yes, all was good in my house this past weekend.

I managed to download a couple of apps for my iPad to use in the classroom.  A couple of math games, some spelling games, and even a few organizational tools to help with keeping anecdotal records and data reports and skill mastery information.  It was my goal to find some ways to help me stay organized...and I at least got started on that.

In a way, I go against everything I said yesterday about the need for technology.  At the end of the day, I'm a child of the technology era - and my technology is what's going to get me through staying on top of the paperwork that needs to be done.  I feel a lot more at ease when I have stuff recorded digitally.  Stuff being the technical term for important information that gets lost in piles of papers on my desk.

This week is going to be a short week for the kids.  Friday is a day long professional development day.  The agenda says it's going to be a day discussing data.  While I believe data is VERY important - I'm not sure I can sit for 6 hours discussing it.  I'm just hoping that some of the day is spent discussing data while the other half of the day can be spent working in the classroom.  Fingers crossed!

I keep trying to tell myself that I'm still very early in to the school year - and it's OK to keep making adjustments and changes as needed.  But, we've been in school for 7 weeks.  I need to find something that works - because the kids don't need so much change.  It's hard enough for them to keep up with all the learning, let alone keep up with my constant desire to try and be more efficient. 

I really don't like to think of myself as an unorganized person.  I'm not an unorganized person.  I just get a little overwhelmed with trying to keep it all organized...and end up making a bigger mess of stuff than if I just stacked everything in piles and worked through it.  It bugs the crap out of me when people walk in to my classroom and see piles of paperwork on my desk.  It's even worse when someone comes and asks me for something, and I run around the room doing the "I just saw it a moment ago" dance.  I'll know I'll get it, eventually, but now would be much nicer!

Maybe having more weekends where I can lay on the couch with a blanket will help.  I definitely feel more relaxed, refreshed, and ready for the week.  At some point this year, I plan on spending entire weekends not having to worry about doing any work... but one step at a time.  I am a new teacher, after all.  I know that it's not possible for new teachers to have a weekend completely work free until at least after Christmas break. 

The best and worst part of all that is I actually enjoy doing the work.  Which is the reason I got in to this profession in the first place.  I wanted a career that gave me some freedom to work at home when I needed, that I didn't mind doing. 

Wow, look how much I digressed.  This post was supposed to be about my weekend - and I ended up going off on a tangent about my work.  Again. 

Other highlights of the weekend?

Friday, I passed out on the couch around 8pm.  I woke up long enough to move myself from the couch to the bed around 10pm.  I then slept until 8am the next morning.  Think I was tired?  It was way more than tired - it was absolute exhaustion!  Goes to show how quickly it can catch up with me, I suppose.  

I got to watch some Big Bang Theory Saturday and yesterday.  Netflix finally sent us two new discs for the next season we hadn't seen.  I can't even remember which season we're on, now.  I do know that we zoomed through both discs this weekend.  I can literally watch that show all day and night every day and night.  It's freakin' hilarious! 

Yesterday, Hubby decided to break out the ice-cream maker and make some homemade ice-cream.  He made some caramel macchiato ice-cream for him and I, and some orange sorbet for the kids.  It was delicious!  He cracks me up, sometimes though.  After being together for 8 years, it's finally hit me that he's a man that prefers to eat ice-cream when it's not so hot outside.  It's a trend I should have picked up years ago.. but I didn't.  It was this time last year when he broke out the ice-cream maker.  Not in the summer months when everyone was complaining about the heat - but when the weather had moved to a comfortable 70+ degrees.  Same thing this year.  The ice-cream tasted like a bowl of Starbucks.  Heaven in my mouth, I tell ya. 

And that's how I spent my weekend.  Not the most exciting stuff to read about, but I enjoyed it.  Sometimes it's the simple stuff I enjoy the most. 

I'm setting myself a goal to not have to do too much work next weekend.  I really want to get out of the house for something... even if it's just some grocery shopping.  Although, I'd much rather prefer a picnic in the park or maybe dinner with friends.  We'll see.  I better get through this week first.

Photobucket

1 comment:

Tell me what's on your mind - I love to hear from you!