Saturday, September 29, 2012

The Beginning of Family Game Night


A couple of weekends ago, Peanut and I spent a Saturday evening playing board games.  We had a game of Trivial Pursuit and surprised ourselves with how much nonsense trivia we knew and then we played a game of Scene It - Harry Potter Edition.

Even though it was just Peanut and I playing, we had a great time.  Such a great time, in fact, that Peanut wants to do it again tonight - with some different games.

For as long as I can remember, I've wanted to be "one of those families". Soccer mom, children who do well in school, family game nights.... the perfect sitcom type family.  It has always been a wish that I'd end up with one of those families that enjoy spending time with each other, can have fun together, and are involved with traditions that are passed on to grandchildren and great grandchildren.

And, I finally think that's all starting to fall in to place.

When I arrived home from my professional development day, yesterday, I found that Peanut had cleaned the house while I was gone.  Hubby was waiting and asked if we'd like to go out and eat dinner.  Peanut mentioned running to Wal-Mart to pick up some games for Game Night.  I was wondering if I'd made it in to the right house or I'd somehow crossed over in to some alternate dimension.

After dinner, Peanut and I walked down the game aisle at Wal-Mart to see what our game options were.  She wanted something trivia based and fun.  And I have to throw out a spill of disappointment, here.  There were several games - but very few that had some kind of wit factor to them.  I want to know what happened to Trivia games?  There wasn't a single version of Trivial Pursuit.  And I don't know what's happened to Trivial Pursuit, because I looked on Amazon to see about buying a newer version - and they are selling for hundreds of dollars.  What the what?  Is the original trivia game now so non existent that they've turned in to collector's items?

I digress..

What I'm trying to say is that tonight is going to be the beginning of a new family tradition.  Saturday Game Night is now going to be a regular feature in my household.  And the best part is I can take Family Game Night to new locations.  We will hopefully be able to take game night to other people or invite people here.  So, if the kids want friends over they can join in or vice versa if we go visit one of my friends.

Of course, before the fun can begin this evening, I have a HUGE bag of work that I need to get through.  Thankfully, Peanut has offered to help.  I don't know why I haven't done this sooner, but there's no reason why Peanut can't help out with grading or making stuff for my classroom.  Just another piece to my Perfect Family Puzzle.  Where my kids help with my work.  Win-win for me!

I have two new projects that I plan on putting in to my classroom this next week.  Both projects require some planning and creation.  They are going to take some time to put together, but I think it will all be worth it.

As bad as this may sound, I'm so excited to get to work on my work that I'm ready to say goodbye here and do it.

So, that's what I'm going to do.


Photobucket

1 comment:

  1. I love trivial pursuit! It's so much fun, and surprisingly hard (at least for me). But, I agree, none of the new versions compare to the original at all. Sounds like you've got a great family tradition going!

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what's on your mind - I love to hear from you!