Sunday, October 21, 2012

My First Saturday Out With the Family in FOREVER!

Last Saturday, I had the pleasure of going out with Sanity for lunch.  I was out of the house about 2 hours - and then spent the rest of my weekend sitting in front of the computer getting all of my work done for the week.  I felt really excited about getting a chance to sneak off for a couple of hours, but I also knew that being out for those couple of hours was going to mean playing a little catch-up in order to get everything done.

This weekend has been totally different.  Do I still have some work to do?  Yes.  But not near the amount I usually have to do.  And because of that, I was able to spend the entire day out with the family yesterday.

Our fun-filled day started off with grocery shopping.  Hey.  Don't laugh!  To a person who hasn't done any grocery shopping since August, this was a treat.  Hubby has had the responsibility of doing the grocery shopping each weekend since I started work.  The only time I've graced Wal-Mart with my presence since August, was the occasional times I've had to run in for an item or two.  And when I say run, I mean run.  In.  Out.  Home. 

Yesterday, I made a point to casually stroll up and down aisles looking at stuff I had no intention of buying - but just for the sake of enjoying the time.  I didn't even want to look at the shopping list.  That's a big deal for me.  A few months ago, a trip to Wal-Mart without a shopping list, would have caused a minor anxiety attack.  I was programmed to walk in to the store and follow a path that leads me from the back of the store to the front of the store without having to go back and forth.  But, yesterday, I made Hubby hold on to the list and point us where we needed to go - and I didn't even notice if we doubled back for a forgotten item or diverted away from the list for something. 

Once grocery shopping was over with, I took Peanut and Jelly out to visit a couple of craft fairs.  Now, I will mention that craft fairs are usually the death of me.  I get these urges to pay ridiculous prices for crap I could make myself or crap that ends up in a box never to be seen again because I think for the minute it would look good somewhere and then change my mind by the time I get home. 

Not this time around.  Those suckers weren't getting me this time.  I wasn't going to the craft fairs to look for junk I didn't need, I was going to craft fairs because the weather was absolutely beautiful outside and I have been stuck in my house on the weekends for far too long.  And apparently, that mindset works wonders because I hardly bought anything.

In fact, not only did I only spend a few dollars on kettle corn and some cute ear warmers for the girls - but I actually found myself looking at stuff and thinking "hmm, I should break out my crochet stuff and start making these" - talking about all of the cute scarves and hats and other crocheted clothing items that were being sold for exorbitant amounts. 

Seriously, I don't get it.  I can crochet.  Pretty darn well, actually.  Last winter, I made these for the kids...




These character/ Mohawk hats were all the craze last year - and apparently they will be again this year.  These hats that I made cost me about $10 total to make all three, and they took a couple of hours each.  Yet, I saw hats similar to this for sale at the craft fairs yesterday for $20 EACH!  And that's not all I can make.  I've made scarves, afghans, gloves, and even knocked out a couple pairs of slippers last year.  All I thought while walking around those craft fair booths yesterday was "I could make a fortune if I crocheted more and then sold my stuff". 

Needless to say, I walked away from the craft fairs with my money still in my pocket and the desire to start crocheting again.  And I did exactly what I wanted to do - just enjoy some fresh air.

This morning, I'm going to knock out my lesson plans for the three days the kids will be in school next week.  That would be one of the reasons I had so much free time this weekend - I only have to plan for three days of school next week.  I have to work three and a half days due to parent/teacher conferences - but then I get three and a half days OFF.  Whoop whoop!  Maybe that's when I'll dust off my crocheting stuff.

Anywho, it was a wonderful Saturday.  It's amazing how much I miss the little things when I'm so focused on work.  I know it's just the first year teacher curse having so much to do all of the time, but I'm working on making my life easier so that I truly can enjoy the days I'm supposed to have off. 

And, now it's that time to get to doing what I do... so I can enjoy the rest of my Sunday.


Photobucket

1 comment:

Tell me what's on your mind - I love to hear from you!