Sunday, October 28, 2012

Oh Yes, That Time of Year is Definitely Upon Me...

It should come to no surprise to anyone that has read this blog for any amount of time that I absolutely LOVE the cold weather.  Not being out in it, just it being cold outside while I'm inside.  In my mind, there's just nothing more relaxing and soothing as snuggling under a blanket with a hot beverage while the cold wind blasts around outside.

I always know when my mind has settled in to "cold weather mode", and that's when I break out my crocheting.

I've been crocheting since Butter was born.  It was a new hobby I wanted to start for myself, and so I completely taught myself how to do it.  In the eleven years he's been here, I've made several afghans, blankets, scarves, gloves, hats, character hats, and have even successfully attempted making boots, slippers, and a poncho.

For years and years I've told myself that I would stop only crocheting during the cold months, and crochet all year long so that I can sell the stuff that I make.  I totally could.  I've been to many craft fairs where crocheted items are sold at outrageous prices - and I can knock out those things in a few hours to a few days.  If I were to really buckle down and stick with it, I could make a fortune at a craft fair.

Last year, around this time, my crocheting stuff made it's appearance.  The item on the agenda for me to try for the first time were character hats.  I shared some pictures a few days ago of some of the hats I made last year.. but in case you missed them, here they are again:



I just know that I took pictures of the boots and slippers I made, but of course I can't find those pics anywhere.

Anywho, what I made last year is neither here nor there.  I have a new desire this year.  A new interest.  And that's with making headbands and hats that have those cute flowers on them.  Last year, the character hats were really popular - but from what I saw at the craft fairs this year, big flowers are the "thing".

So, yesterday, I decided to break out my crocheting stuff and see what I could come up with.  With all the things I have made, I have never made a headband.  Kinda silly, now that I think about it, because they are probably the easiest things to make.

I managed to knock a couple out pretty quickly.  Here are the two I made... the first one is Jelly's and the second one is mine:



I did mine a little thicker, so it would cover my ears.  I would have done the same to Jelly's, but she hates having anything over her ears.  Besides, she's a lot more likely to wear it all day long if it's small enough.  I have to say, I'm pretty happy with myself.  They didn't come out bad at all.  Before I went to bed last night, I tried out a third flower option which is kind of a mixture of the two seen here.  I think it's my most favorite, but I didn't attach it to anything yet.  I'm thinking about whipping out a beanie to put it on, just to see what the hats look like with a flower.

Butter has been on at me about making him a Sock Monkey character hat, and I will eventually... but I want to really get some of these headbands and hats made first.  They make great gifts in a pinch.  Plus, if I stock up on as much stuff as possible now, maybe my craft fair booth will finally become a reality.  We'll see.

Speaking of which, my crochet needle is calling my name already this morning.  Time to get to relaxing on my last day before going back to work, I suppose.



Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what's on your mind - I love to hear from you!