Friday, February 11, 2011

Getting My Body to Fail

It's Friday.  The weekend is here.  The past two weeks have been...well, different.  Being stuck in the house because of snow usually means two things:  laying on the couch and eating.

This week I've used the snow as an advantage.  I've embraced the snow.  I've found a way to stay active - probably more so than when there's no snow on the ground.

It's only taken a month and a half - but FINALLY the fire has been lit inside of me...and I'm not holding back, anymore.

This week, I announced my participation in the Sisterhood's monthly project of Operation: Body Fail.  A challenge that asked me to do something that I don't do - but I should.  Last year, when I attended Boot Camp, it was customary to start each session with "burn outs".  That meant we did push-ups until we couldn't do another push-up, we did sit-ups until we couldn't do another sit-up, and we did pull-ups...well tried to do a pull-up in my case. 

The point of those exercises was to get our body into "Body Fail" mode.  We were exhausting ourselves before we even began our training.  We then spent 90 minutes continuing to push our bodies - no matter how tired we got.  By the time the 6 week camp was over, I was strong, powerful...could actually identify some muscle tone behind the layers of fat.  It was all thanks to being pushed to the point of thinking I could do no more...and then doing more.

So, Operation: Body Fail calls for the same principle, kind of.  We are to pick something we really want to push ourselves in.  I decided to choose push-ups - real ones - because that's an area I've always struggled in.  I did 3 on Tuesday.  I was able to do 5 yesterday.  After my push-ups yesterday, I proceeded to do the 30 day shred...but I opted to try Level 2 - even though Level 1 had given me some difficulty the day before.

It was hard, I'm not going to lie.  Every muscle in my body was screaming at me - telling me I couldn't do anymore....and that was only half way in.  I wanted to stop.  I wanted to quit - thinking it was just too hard... but I didn't.  I kept going.  I told my body to deal with it.  It was funny, but I found the exercises to be easier to do than in Level 1... but the burn?  Oh the burn....I was hurting - in such a great way. 

I pushed myself all the way through the work-out.  I completed it.  When I was done, the sweat was dripping off of me...my muscles hurt, but I felt powerful.  I knew that I had pushed myself to Body Fail mode...and kept going.  When I thought I couldn't do another move.. I just focused on pushing for one more, and then the next - sometimes screaming out in determination. 

Today, I am pushing myself once again.  Push-ups, Level 2 of the Shred, AND THEN Biggest Loser Cardio Max.  Yeah - I may be crazy... but gotta love my determination, right?

Also - wanted to say... Food Loggers and Calorie Counters Rejoice! 

Yesterday, I opened up the My Fitness Pal app on my iPhone for the first time in about 8 months.  I downloaded it last year, used it one time...and then stopped.  Recently, I've noticed a lot of people are using it...so I thought I'd give it another go.  I have to say, I'm impressed.  It was quick, easy - and I LOVED being able to see my input and output right there in front of me.  So, I'm giving it another go.  You'll notice my little ticker at the bottom of the post... it says I've lost 31lbs - but that's since I first installed the app several months ago.

Yes, that means I'm going to be keeping a food diary AND counting calories.... amazing, I know.

Also, I'm pondering the idea of getting a personal trainer.  Not sure yet - basically because of funds - but it's something I'm at least throwing around in my head.

Well, I hear Jillian Michaels calling my name....time to feel some burn.

Those of you with My Fitness Pal - do you love it?  If you want to add me, my user name there is jojo_hill44
Those of you with or have used a personal trainer - did you find the investment to be well worth it?
What are qualities that you would look for in a personal trainer?

Till next time.  ;)
Photobucket

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Weight Loss Tools

8 comments:

  1. I loved having a personal trainer when I was in San Antonio. Actually, I had one years ago, too, but I don't think he had a really sound background, and it made me kind of nervous. Randy,the last guy, was excellent. He knew his stuff and I felt confident he wouldn't push me to the point of injury. But push me he did! And that's the wonderful thing about a trainer. You get pushed way beyond what you'd do on your own. But combined with that solid background in physiology and all that, I need someone with a good sense of humor! Oh, I just remembered that when I was a member of the Fayetteville Athletic Club, I had a female trainer, and she was great, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never hired a trainer because, well...I just can't afford one. I have had people tell me (and they're right) that I'm "worth" the cost. True, but not at the expense of something else my family might need.

    I would always make sure a personal trainer is certified and reputable. If it was someone I didn't know, I would ask for references and CALL THEM. It's not enough for someone to say, "Yeah I know Bob, he's a nice guy." That is great, but just a person being nice isn't going to help get you results.

    I think it's FANTASTIC that you're counting calories and all that stuff. The more aware we are about what's going in (and being burned off), the more success we'll see. I know for me, before I started "counting" (with Weight Watchers Online), I would get to the end of the day and think, "Yeah I did pretty ok today." That's not always going to cut it for me because I have a tendency to "forget" eating things if I don't write them down or track them sometimes. (A common theme in my life - my desk is FULL of post it notes and lists).

    I LOVE that you've joined the #7daychip group on Twitter. Lots of great encouragement there.

    Colleen
    Goodbye, Fat Girl!
    Fun Beyond Driven Chatter

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, ladies!!

    There's a trainer I have in mind..he was one of the instructors I had in bootcamp. I love him to death. He's super sweet, but won't let me back down. He will push me - and that's what I need.

    I'm meeting with him Monday.. I'm getting a 2 week free gym membership - and we're going to talk finance possibilities. **FINGERS CROSSED**

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had a trainer a few years ago. I loved it. We worked twice a week and I could chose a man or a woman. I went with a woman and she was great. She pushed me but also realized when I could do more because I really couldn't not because I was being a baby.

    She worked out of a gym. That was important for me. I'm a little too leary to hire a private trainer.

    I paid 225 a month for 30 minutes 2x a week. I don't know what it is now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi I just love your blog.. I just started my own blog... I am new to all this.... I wanted to invite u to join my blog and to pass the word around! I enjoy your blog so much and I am thankful for your tips and helping me to loose my weight..
    Take care

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love having a good qualified trainer. It really does help when You are trying to "figure it all out"! You have done a great job this week and I'm sooo proud of you for pushing beyond what you thought possible! WTG!! Keep pushing and you will be amazed at how far you can go!

    ReplyDelete
  7. i would say a trainer is TOTALLY WORTH IT. lot of trainers are willing to work with you on cost, too. we found one who would bring the cost down individually if we brought friends, so me and 4 friends do it for 5 weeks at $12 a pop. it's a full hour of intense workouts, weight, pilates and cardio bursts and well worth the money. it's at a smaller gym, not one of the big name brand kinds. so if you have any friends who want to do it too, maybe you can get the cost 1/2ed or even 1/5thed like in my case, lol,somewhere. check it out, it's awesome! they know what you have to do and how to get you there and that's the best part.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can't even think of a personal trainer. #1 wouldn't know where to look in our rural area. #2 finances. Though at times I wish I could. Especially when using the Wii Fit and knowing that silly balance board has no idea if I am doing an exercise correctly. I would love to know if I am doing things right and what is right for me to help in my weight loss journey.
    Oh, your body fail story makes me feel very wimpy right now.
    Following you! have a great week

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what's on your mind - I love to hear from you!